Job Interview: How do I say I want to work less hours?

I applied for an office assistant position. The job description says 30-40 hours in a week, 5 days a week. Ideally I want to work 30 hours a week due personal reasons concerning work-life balance (currently imbalance at my present job)

How do I get this across in an job interview without it sounding like I'm lazy?

Be honest and tell them about why. 

Be honest and tell them about why.

"30 hours a week is sufficient for me; I don't need more"

• Jane

At the interview, focus of proving you are the best person for the job. This will set you up well for your negotiating position around hours, which you introduce at the end of the meeting.Decide in advance what you really want eg. 4 days full hours, or 30 hours spread over the week during core periods.Consider whether you could fulfil the responsibilities involved over 30 hours and what solutions you could put in place to make this work eg. making systems more effective, how you would communicate with the team, working from home, providing flexibility etc.

Of course it may be that the way their team is set up means they need someone there for more than 30 hours at certain times, such as particularly busy/seasonal periods in their company business that may be predictable. Then you would need to provide solutions to how you would handle this as above.

Good luck!

Then find a dead end job at McDonalds where you might get 20hrs a week

I would tell HR about your situation. I can't believe working 30 hours per week is considered "lazy". Who determines what amount of hours worked per week is lazy VS not lazy? Here in the West, people celebrate working 100+ hour work weeks. You die in the end. But the powers that be have made sheeple believe that you cannot be a good person unless you work long hours and rarely spend time with your family.

• Eva

There isn't one. If it comes down to a couple of candidates and one is willing to work up to 40 hours and the other one isn't, who do you think they're going to choose?

tell them no man should have to work 40 hrs a week until 66

You should have made it clear when you applied that you would not work more than 30 hours a week.    Then the employer could save both your and their time by not bothering to interview you.

They want someone who will work 30-40 hours a week at THEIR discretion, not YOUR discretion.

This isn't about lazy.  This is about finding a job that you are a match for.  This one isn't it. 

• P

You would say "I always make it a priority to get my work done in a timely manner, however due to my family scheduling I prefer to leave by 3:30 (or whatever works into your schedule.)"