Areianna asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

What if you only eat 1 granola bar a day?

So I'm having trouble with my body image. Not as a result of media, but because I don't have the image that I personally like. I'm 20, 5'5", and 215lbs. 

I really don't like my large abdomen or large thighs. I've been eating very little all week. I don't have a scale so I've been keeping track of measurements, especially at the abdomen where I am most self conscious. 

I've tried all kinds of diets for extended periods of time with no changes, so I wanted to try an extreme. I'm trying to figure out how much weight I'd lose in a week by eating the same amount of food as a granola bar. The food itself varies but the amount equates to maybe 10 bites a day, roughly a granola bar. I'd really like to know statistics. I can't seem to find anything in particular to this question online. 

• Eva

Ridiculous! That's way too little food and not at all healthy. Yes you would lose weight but you'd have a very hard time staying on something so restrictive and it won't change your habits long term which is what you need.

You can't find an answer because there is no exact answer. It depends on a person's current size and activity level as well as the calories, not just the number of bites.

As others have noted, you're going about this all wrong.  If you eat 200 calories a day, your body will burn fat -- and lean muscle.  You'll lose a fair amount the first week, but once your body goes into starvation mode, it will hold on to fat like a life preserver.  You'd be much better off eating 1,200 calories a day of foods that will promote weight loss.  Those include vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, lettuce, cabbage, spinach, etc.), lean protein like chicken, fish or steak, and small/moderate amounts of fats from things like walnuts, olive oil, and avocado. Stop eating fast food, junk food, take out food, grains, fruits, juice, alcohol, and milk. If you do that, you will enable your insulin to settle down so that your body will burn fat. When you eat carbs whether fruit yogurt or granola or pasta or rice, your body produces insulin.  Insulin tells your cells to store fat, not burn it.  

You are between 80 and 100 pounds overweight.  That puts you into the morbidly obese category.  You have a significantly increased risk of early death, cancer, diabetes, heart attack, arthritis, organ failure, stroke, and Alzheimers.  I'm not trying to be mean, but you need to grasp that how your thighs look is the least of your worries.  If you adopt a lifestyle where you eat plenty of nutrient-rich food in a healthy calorie range, you will lose weight and be able to keep it off.  

You can also start to exercise. If all you can do is walk, walk.  If you can workout at home, there are all kinds of DVDs and YouTube videos you can start to follow.  Weight management is 80% diet, but starting to move more will be good for you too.  Over time, when you've lost a little weight, working out will help you create a strong, toned body.  

I encourage you to get some books on following a ketogenic diet and make a commitment to yourself for 2020.  If you start today, you could lose 100 pounds by this time next year, but you have to choose each minute of each day to do what is good for you, not what is a bad habit or easy.

Good luck.

Too much grains. Every day of the week. Every person's body is different. Mine hates pasta daily. So I try other food groups not bread.

i wouldnt do it, when you put yourself on a starvation diet like that it will slow down your metabolism and defeat the whole purpose of doing it

Buy a scale.               .