Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 1 month ago

Why americans demand foreigners speak english in america, but refuse to speak the local language abroad?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Good questions. I knew American who lived 20 years in another country, but spoke only a few words of the local language. Meanwhile, we expect immigrants to somehow instantly learn English. Most of the time, the reason is that people are afraid others are talking about them behind their backs. 

• 1 week ago

That only happens in racism hoaxes, in front of rolling cameras.

• 1 month ago

The first part is expected since they are coming to MY country, when this American (myself) goes abroad, I attempt to speak the local language best I can

• 1 month ago

Americans are called racist for demanding economic refugees speak English in USA

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Americans aren't regularly taught languages in school [except English]

• 1 month ago

US is the most lax country in requiring a specified degree of English language skills of its immigrants seeking to naturalize. Most countries are far more stringent in their language requirements for those seeking immigration to begin with (as requirement for immigration visa) or seeking citizenship.

Few Americans immigrate elsewhere, and those who do obviously have to abide by those countries' language requirements to qualify for citizenship. Most Americans abroad are only there briefly, and even those who have studied multiple languages often don't speak the specific language of various countries they visit. E.g. may have studied French in high school, but that would be quite useless when vacationing in, say, Thailand.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because most Americans are ignorant and lacking class.

• 1 month ago

Because those Americans are arrogant jerks.  Not all Americans are like that.  Enough though, so it is noticeable.

• 1 month ago

I think its not just an american thing but a WESTERNER thing in general i.e its based on racism

Whites keep telling ethnics (example asians) to speak english and its rude to speak in their own language......funny if it was french they'd be saying how romantic it is proving its not manners thing its just racism. 

i.e we're better then you, stop speaking something i don't understand OUR language is the default language be like us and assimilate, funny if white people are better why do you get tans to look more exotic?

• 1 month ago

Americans don't demand that. Like most opinions that foreigners have of Americans, this one is false as well.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.