SW-6
SW-6 asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How are you dealing with older dog who will not use the stairs?

Wondering how others who may have been used to upstairs dogs now having to do it all downstairs.  :)

Favorite Answer

It may be too painful to climb stairs now, where it wasn't before. Age limits mobility. Arthritis, hip dysplasia & other old age things can really hinder a dog or any animal with it, including us.

Sometimes you just have to modify your life cause of changes like this. It is hard to watch them get old.

• In

Install a catapult at the bottom of the stairs, buy a single level house, or get a dog who can handle the stairs.

Personally I use a shock collar. 

• Jojo

If the dog is happy being left downstairs then I don`t see the problem. It`s not essential for dogs to go upstairs, if downstairs is part of the living accomodation of the house.  

I don't have stairs but why would you force the dog to use stairs when it probably HURTS the dog? Let the dog stay downstairs. If he tries to follow you up put a gate at the bottom of the stairs.

Have you gotten this dog to a vet to see if there's medication or supplements it could be on? And what is "do it all downstairs" mean? Are you letting him piss and **** in your house?

I blocked the stairs so she wouldn't try to climb them and relocated her life to the first floor.

What else would you do but put all the dog's things downstairs?

I've moved my bed downstairs, my old girl took so long to get up each night it was easier. 

My dad built a ramp for our outside 3 steps for in the house id just move its living space downstairs like his beds and stuff

It's great! I don't have to climb the stairs anymore!