SW-6
Lv 6
SW-6 asked in PetsDogs · 10 months ago

How are you dealing with older dog who will not use the stairs?

Wondering how others who may have been used to upstairs dogs now having to do it all downstairs.  :)

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favourite answer

It may be too painful to climb stairs now, where it wasn't before. Age limits mobility. Arthritis, hip dysplasia & other old age things can really hinder a dog or any animal with it, including us.

Sometimes you just have to modify your life cause of changes like this. It is hard to watch them get old.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Personally I use a shock collar. 

• Jojo
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

If the dog is happy being left downstairs then I don`t see the problem. It`s not essential for dogs to go upstairs, if downstairs is part of the living accomodation of the house.  

• 10 months ago

I don't have stairs but why would you force the dog to use stairs when it probably HURTS the dog? Let the dog stay downstairs. If he tries to follow you up put a gate at the bottom of the stairs.

Have you gotten this dog to a vet to see if there's medication or supplements it could be on? And what is "do it all downstairs" mean? Are you letting him piss and **** in your house?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Amber
    Lv 5
    10 months ago

Small dogs can be carried, large dogs - a treat or two can often persuade them, but if you're dog is having issues climbing he needs to see a vet - he's probably in pain.

I moved from a house to a bungalow as I used to foster a lot of older dogs. Had some disabled ones that couldn't manage stairs. Plus, I don't have to climb them either!

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

I blocked the stairs so she wouldn't try to climb them and relocated her life to the first floor.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

What else would you do but put all the dog's things downstairs?

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

I've moved my bed downstairs, my old girl took so long to get up each night it was easier. 

• 10 months ago

My dad built a ramp for our outside 3 steps for in the house id just move its living space downstairs like his beds and stuff

• 10 months ago

It's great! I don't have to climb the stairs anymore!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.