Is Chicken pox a sickness of the past?

Silly question, but I just learned that there is such a thing as a chicken pox vaccine. My kid will be getting it soon. By the way, I'm pro vaccine, but that's not the point.

I've never heard of a vaccine for it. I was just thinking that, like every other kid in America since forever ago, he would have to get chicken pox. Its like puberty. Everyone has to go through it. I grew up in the 80s and my folks took me to 2 chicken pox parties when I was little and didn't get it. Visited a cousin whose kids were having it when I was in high school and bam! Got it.

Sorry. This seems silly. but when did this earth shattering event take place? What else have I missed? A cure for acne?

• Roddy
    Favorite Answer

Chickenpox is one of several diseases for which there is an effective vaccine that can be safely given to young kids. All children ought to be vaccinated and that would eliminate the disease. However, there is a lot of anti-vaccination nonsense spread via social media and a lot of parwents are reading it as true and not giving theri kids the protection they diserve.

I have a PHD in Vaccinology and I can tell you that no vaccine is effective in preventing diseases.  It's actually your own immune system that is doing all the work not the vaccine.

• audrey

There IS a vaccine for chicken pox. Please have your child get it. I had chicken pox many years ago before vaccines. Two full weeks of hell.

If you have not recived any type vaccines you have missed plenty of them 

Hep B

DTaP ( diptheria, influenza type B, poliovirus (IPV) or Pneumococcal conjugate and Rotavirus (RV)

PCV

MMR (measles,  mumphs,  & rubella

Hep A

HEV

MEN B

• Edna

Chicken pox is becoming a thing of the past, but it's not yet. The chicken pox vaccine wasn't  developed until the late 1970's and wasn't being administered until well after that time. Before then, young kids weren't vaccinated against chicken pox - there was no vaccine against it.  

well friend it's not just important to get rid of chickenpox because it's an aggravating childhood illness it's important to get rid of the chickenpox because it comes back when you're an adult in the form of shingles which is worse than chicken pox so if we keep children from catching chicken pox in the first place and keep people immunized against the chickenpox virus we're going to get rid of the shingles as well

• Brian

I never had it growing up, but I was actually exposed to, never got it. Then again, I was born with natural immunity to many things.

• James

The vaccine was introduced in 1995. 

"Before the varicella vaccine was licensed in the U.S. in 1995, there were approximately 100 deaths and more than 11,000 hospitalizations a year from chickenpox."

Another bad thing about Chickenpox is that it can lurk inside you and come back as an incredibly painful Shingles infection in later life.