Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

My friend wants me to join her small business, but my mom says not to. What do I do?

Even though my friend and I are both 18, she still wants me to join her business. She says there's meetings to attend etc. When I asked her what she named it she said it was a "surprise", but she did say it started with an A. So I tell my mom this and my mom straight up says, "Don't sign any paperwork. It's a scam". How?

• Mark

All I can say is she won't be your friend for much longer.  Amway and MLMs are a great friendship breaker.  

• Eva

Likely that it stands for Amway which is one of the biggest multi-level marketing scams going. They are very secretive when they are trying to get someone to sign up. They hold "rah-rah" meetings to get you all enthused about the business, but it usually costs you more than you make. Any company that pays more for recruiting new people than it does for selling product is likely to be a scam.

If your friend isn't completely up front from day one about this, don't do it. I side with your mom, you'll just be losing money and will be responsible as a co-owner for ANY financial issues that go bad.

• Frank

She has been duped into an MLM system and will NOT MAKE MONEY. You can go to the meetings...DO NOT SPEND ANY MONEY on ANYTHING...do NOT SIGN UP for ANYTHING.

MLM is multi-level-marketing....a USELESS SCAM in 99% of the cases.

• John

Your friend is just not grown up enough to start a business, much less have a partner.  Keep the friend, run as fast as can can from the offer.

Amway is not a scam, but your friend would get a % of your sales ... and sales are hard to get as Amway sellers are very abundant.  It the business is not Amway ... then be doubly careful.

If "joining" means putting up money, forget it. Could be some sort of ponzi scheme, or some other rip off.

Go ahead and join if it's free. Then you lose nothing if it fails.

(If it's Amway, forget it also. Hardly anyone buys amway, and you only make money by recruiting more people, like your friend is doing)

• Judy

If she won't or can't explain what the business is about, mom is right. Sounds like your friend is getting scammed. She'll be asked for money from the organizers of these meetings, and you will too if you join her.

Sounds at the very 'best' it's a MLM scheme and you're just a target for her up to an outright scam.

• Jay

not reading any of that useless trash. decide for yourself. unless you are a coward that gets swayed by random online freaks.