Is feeling cold part of getting old?

It's 78° in here, and I just put another blanket on the bed. I have six doctors, head to toe, so I know there's nothing medically wrong.

This is normal for older folks. The skin looses fat and we start to see our blood veins more clearer because of it. That fat was also an insulation from the cold. Also, most of the body heat escapes through the top of our heads, so, wearing a warm cap or hat helps keep the body warm. And if possible, a good brisk walk everyday burns calories  and warms the body which helps too.

• P.L.

I have always had poor circulation and never wanted to remove my cardigan in the summer.  Always lots of blankets on the bed etc.  Things haven't changed so I still feel the cold a lot but we do now have central heating, warmer light-weight clothing rather than thick, heavy, woollen garments and the same can be said for bedding also.

• mom

I thought it was me, it will be 76 inside and I go under the blanket also

• Snid

It is absolutely part of getting old although being cold all the time is not exclusive to old people.  Maybe you aren't moving around as much.

get another blanket and move on..simple

• drip

Get an electric blanket. Yes we can feel the cold more as we age. I sleep with a hoodie on. I find if my head I covered I feel warmer.

During the day get up and move.my mother sits or lays around all day watching tv, and is always cold. 

Mine is set at 68 degrees but I dress warmly. At night I turn it off and have 3 blankets. I think it's just age related.

• Peggy

Yes, unfortunately, it is.  That is why we must wrap up well in cold weather and keep the heating going on cold days, even using hot water bottles or heated wheat bags to help keep us warm if necessary. Staying in one room most of the time is better than continually opening doors and allowing the warmth to go through the door.  This depends on how the house is heated of course.

• ted

Feeling cold is part of getting old for some people.  

It was around the time when I turned 60 years of age that I started to feel cold more frequently than when I was younger.  

• Sam

In a way it is about getting old because older people tend to become sedentary which slows blood circulation. 

For instance, if you put a coat on and went out running in cold weather, it wouldn't be long before you would want to shed the coat because you would be getting hot with it on.  You can either put another blanket over you or get up and get your body moving. 

Source(s): Or even better, you can snuggle with someone. That's the best way to keep warm ;)

Perfectly normal at our age... carry on!