Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Are you the black sheep of the family?

I just want to know I'm not alone

I hate being the oddball out, I always try to blend in, but in a family setting I just can't

I'm the only one that doesn't either authentically or pretend to buy into religious ideology. I'm about to be the only one of my siblings with a 4 year degree, I'm the only woman who's life doesn't center around a man, my hair's short, covered in tats, and when people tell me I'm going to hell I just shrug my shoulders cause I believe I'm already there.

Sometimes it sucks and I wish I fit in (cause it would prevent a lot of quarrels) but other times it's cool cause I know I'm unique, and I'm not living a life just to fit in 

You may not fit in with your family but your educated, short-haired, tattooed self sounds absolutely in sync with Millennial culture. Maybe spend more time with friends than with relatives if this bothers you.

• dman63

Pretty much.  I’ve always preferred to do my own thing, and I didn’t always like the same things that everyone else did.  I don’t know how many times I was made to feel like there was “something wrong” with me because of it.  As an adult, I’m not particularly close to my family and my wife is kind of a black sheep herself.  I also live in another city, a four hour drive from where I grew up.  The space has always been a relief. I’ve met many people over the years that I consider family, and I prefer their company to that of most of my relatives.  I guess you end up making your own family.

i feel that way since most of my family ignores me

Possibly, I'm not really sure.

Yeah, family gatherings suck. 

I have to sit around with people I barely care for, be nice and polite and mostly have to remain hours in a dress shirt and tie.I hate when I have to attend such an event and always wish i get sick.

Unless you are independently wealthy you can not afford to be a black sheep in the 21st century. You will have to comply with them, if you want or need their help.

• Smiley1 month agoReport

You need some milk

I am not black and do not identify myself as a sheep.