Verulam asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

Can somebody please explain to me why, given she wants INDEPENDENCE for Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon would want to keep the country?

under the control of the EU? The majority of the UK voted OUT from under that control, so what is the woman banging on about, and why?

Update:

As I see it Scotland has it's own Parliament (we in England don't) and a presence in the Westminster Parliament.   What more does Sturgeon want.   I think it is time to let Scotland GO, and remove all the benefits Scotland has via Westminster.   I have read that the EU isn't interested in having Scotland as a member on it's own.  They want income, but not more countries needing payouts.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

She wants to be President of Scotland nothing more nothing less. She will destroy Scotland.  They would never survive without English tax payers money. They got their own Parliament and still want to stick their snouts in ours.

• 1 month ago

The SNP just dont understand the realities of life, and that is Scotland is irrelevant in the great scheme of things. The SNP can demand whatever they like it wont make the slightest difference.

• 1 month ago

We have had 10 years of misery for many and consider it Ok to carry on I think it wrong It's about what people want and what they think is best for their country , it's not about explaining to you you are one of 66 million people in Britain and not the sole authority on right or wrong , this is not meant as an insult its reality and the reason we are here now and whatever position we are in In 5 or ten years , I think it's wrong but the decision has been made Like the Somme or Balaclava 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The EU doesn't control countries. Each country is autonomous but adheres to rules that facilitate trade

• Verulam
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

IF ONLY!!    If we still belonged to the COMMON MARKET that would be fine.   But over time, the CM has morphed into the EU and boy do they control a lot of life in the UK now!!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

All that Brexiters say that the EU does to the UK, the Scottish perceive that Westminster does to Scotland.

• When you start with an lie that countries in the EU are "controlled" by the EU, I know you are arguing in bad faith so there is no point taking you seriously. The fact is the majority of Scotland voted remain and voted to remain in the UK under the understanding they'd continue to be an EU member....... things have changed. 

• Biff
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The people who voted in the referendum supported Leave by a small majority in a vote that was swung by blatant calculated (by Dominic Cummings) lies about £350 million per week being freed up for the NHS and Turkish immigrants being about to flood in. The majority of voters in the election voted for parties that support Remain or a second referendum. There isn't the huge support for leaving the EU you assume.

Sturgeon believes that accepting some, mainly uncontroversial, laws agreed by EU states and EU workers Scotland actually needs would be a price worth paying for membership of the Customs Union and the Single Market which would protect Scottish jobs. Scotland isn't like a poor Eastern European country in need of huge handouts. Yes it would lose the 'Bartlett Formula' payments but it wouldn't be contributing to things it doesn't want like the Trident nuclear deterrent.

• ...Show all comments
    • Verulam
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

For YOUR information Biff, we both voted REMAIN and voted for Boris in the hope he'd GET ON WITH WHAT A MAJORITY DECIDED was the best option.  Happen to think they are wrong but we accept the DEMOCRATIC decision.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The EU doesn't control countries, it just facilitates easier trade and labour between members, to leave is to increase bureaucracy and thus expense of produce. 

Leaving the British union allows us to control our own spending so we can properly fund public services and rebuild our infrastructure instead of giving all our money to billionaires so they can spraff it up a wall.

• sam
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Union with EU is better than england

• Verulam
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Bollocks.   Is the EU going to pay the same amount of subsidy money we in the UK current pay Scotland?   I THINK NOT.

• Scotland doesn't want to be run by Westminster. That's why they voted SNP. If Little England elects a Europe-hating American Turk as Prime Minister, it's time to go. Since there are more people in London eligible for a Scottish passport than there are in Scotland, perhaps London should go with them. Then we could throw the English parliament into Boris's ditch somewhere north of Watford.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.