How to get a office job with no office experience?

I am a 24 years old female and since my first job at the age of 16 all I've been getting is food service jobs (cashier, server, team member) I currently make $8.50/hr... I live my job but I hate tbe pay. I have 17 year olds over me making almost $11/hr. I cant begin to try and make a life for myself on that type of pay and its discouraging. I pull in about $800 a month. Thats rent for a 1 bedroom and nothing else. I have a theft charge from 2014 that prevents me from getting jobs in retail or any other job that does background checks basically. I dont see why I wouldnt be able to get a office job though. I apply for them and never even get a interview. So does anyone have any tips for someone who's trying to transition from o e field tp another without experience or school training

College is not a option for me at the moment so please dont mention it.

• Kyle
    Favorite Answer

maybe try going temp agencies.  they can work with you if they work with employers that might be easier on certain type of charges.  and there are temp agencies that work with offices too.

you could consider joining the military.  i don't know if you'll pass qualifications needed to enlist, but you won't know until you see a recruiter.  they have hundreds of jobs not combat or infantry related too.  so plenty can find similar jobs back in the civilian world.  depending on the level of charge you may not get in, but a recruiter will be able to tell you.

maybe try going to call centers or places with customer service type jobs too.  ask your current manager if they will give you a referral if you ever look for other work.  

college is always an option.  even if you need to go to community college.  it's ok to take out loans.  you just have to plan ahead, work for a degree or certificate that's in demand so when you graduate, you can get a job right away.  meet with a counselor or adviser.  go over options.  talk with professors in fields of interest.  get their insight.  there are tons of jobs you can do with just a two year degree.  and are far less expensive than a four year degree.  

• Big Mouth

"so plenty can find similar jobs back in the civilian world."

Like an 'ordinance' mechanic? Where on Earth does one find a job as an 'ordinance' mechanic in the civilian world?!  I don't even know what the fug that is.

• Eva

You aren't going to get an office job unless you have some skills. At the very least you need to know MS Word and Excel. If you're not getting interviews, that could be the reason. Also, your application and resume must be perfect. If there are spelling and/or grammatical errors, you will automatically be placed in the "no" pile.

Most office jobs absolutely would require a background check during the pre-employment/onboarding period. No company wants a thief in the office.

I am able to work in almost any type of environment, and industry. I could use help, but the problem is you don't have a college education. I wouldn't have the time to do your work, for you, and mine too, so you would not be a good fit to work with, or, for me. I would prefer not having to train someone. Because this would take up too much of my time.

Trust would also be an issue as well.

I know you don't want other people to mention college, but without you having a college, or university education then you don't have much to offer.

What kind of office jobs are you applying for?  There are some jobs that require nothing more than basic literacy such as working in the mail room.  Then there are some that require a little training such as filing, copying or reception.  You need to focus on entry level jobs with a plan to work hard and move up. 

Your theft conviction (you have a conviction not a charge) is going to be more of a problem for large companies that have strict rules.  So target small companies in your neighbourhood and look for personal recommendations.  Network with your friends and also walk in and talk to some of the local businesses you deal with regularly.  Present this as asking for advice not asking for a job. 

But be sure to tell your potential employer about your conviction once you have  a job offer.  You would not want to be fired three weeks after you start.

Companies don't like to hire thieves.😉

• Taylor2 months agoReport

😉

Rather than a totally new field, I would suggest trying to get one of the jobs that is "over" your current job and pays almost $11/hr and obviously can't require much education or experience (if 17 year olds do it).

• Maxi

More and more employers do background checks and few employers will employs convicted theives regardless of what type of business it is, so you may not think having a theif as an employee is an issue, they think differently