Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 months ago

I put up a wonderful and well-written novel on Amazon a month ago. And I even set the price at 99c to make it easy for people to buy it.?

But I just checked my account and was shocked to see that there has been no sales. What on earth is going on?

So the fact that someone makes a tiny grammatical mistake on a YA internet post ‘shows’ that the person’s (edited and) published novel was ‘terrible’. And because, obviously, grammar is ALL there is to a book; the imaginative quality, prose and pacing has nothing to do with it. The stupidity of many of the people on this site is really astonishing.

• JerryL

its a lot more then just putting it on amazon i suggest you get a editor and a literary agent  first and join Facebook writing groups you shouldn't have anonymously posed instead use you real name that way people know who you are.

also take a class on marketing on skill share thaires more then just writing thaires editing  learning to market  i suggest you read a lot more oh unpublish  you book becouse litary agents wont take alredy published work

Source(s): a writer myself

I know its hard, but sometimes it takes time fora novel to take off

How do you know your work is wonderful and well written? By what criteria did you make that judgement? Did anyone else critic your novel? Do you realize there are thousands of other writers hoping for the same ticket to fame and fortune?

There are literally 150,000 books released each year by publishers PLUS an equal amount done as self published books. You're lost in the crowd.

When I put mine up I didn't expect much, but have sold around 45 books in 2 years.

• Cogito

If your question gives a realistic picture of your English skills, your novel isn't going to be well-written.

It may be your opinion that it's wonderful and well-written but YOUR opinion is worthless.  Most writers believe their work to be amazing and brilliant, but most of it is total trash.

Your expectations are foolish and your ignorance is astonishing. Therefore I expect that your "wonderful and well-written novel" is garbage. 

• Andrew

You say it's well-written, and that's not a surprise, but you can't expect people to take your word on that. I'm sure that every amateur musician playing in a garage band thinks their demo tape is amazing. If you believe in the book, give it time. If you can think of a few ways to market it more effectively, do that. But asking why people aren't buying it is just silly. 

Amazon offers something like six million books for sale, and a thousand or more are uploaded every day. Simply publishing your book there and waiting for the money to roll in is akin to buying lottery tickets. You need to give some thought to how to attract readers' attention to it. (It's probably not worth spending a lot of time or money on marketing until you have at least three books on sale.)

• Speed

What on earth is going on, you ask? Nothing.

Because writing the novel is only the beginning of the process. If you sell to a trade publisher, they take care of the rest, but those who choose to self-publish instead have to becoming marketers.

You need to give away copies in hope of honest reviews. This has to be to strangers who review lots of books, not to friends and family. There can be no expectation of a favorable review, or even a review at all.

You need cover art that suggests the genre and the type of content, in a thumbnail seen on a phone, and it has to stand up to full-size display.

You need to promote the work in ways and places that are effective. Usually that means figuring out where your target readership goes online and being there, a valued member of each community, not someone set on "SELL BOOKS!" all the time. That'll get you blocked or banned.

You need to right-price the work. Readers know 99 cents is a bargain and suspect that price is an indicator of quality.

And this last part, you don't want to hear, but you probably need an editor. Your question has a pretty basic error in grammar, and I bet the book does, too. Once you attract a potential buyer, the "Look Inside" feature could show mistakes. Close tab, done.

post the title and I will write a review for you

well done......