Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Will a vet confiscate a dog if the owner refuses to treat severe allergies, or a tooth infection?

UK.  Unlikely.   A vet can only give his considered opinion and it's then up to the owner whether or not he acts on that advice.  I don't think he can seize the dog, or refuse to discharge it to the owner.   Most vets want to keep their client base.  

It may be different in other parts of the world and indeed it may be that a vet CAN report an owner in the UK ......  I've never had to deal with that situation!!!

I'm involved in such a matter currently in Pennsylvania.  Veterinarian refused to return the dog to the owner.

He SEIZED the dog.  He didn't CONFISCATE it.

I don't know how it's going to be resolved.  My understanding is that Vet has asked the owner to surrender the dog OR the Veterinarian is going to be an expert witness at a cruelty to animals trial.

• Murzy

No. Vets don't want any more dogs than they have to care for.

The Vet can't but he/she can report you for animal abuse, and Trump just made animal abuse a federal crime

• Laura

A vet has no legal right to take an animal, but they can collect evidence of abuse and neglect and report the owner to local authorities.  Because there is evidence of the abuse or neglect the owner is likely to face legal consequences in the form of animal control taking the dog.

• In

A .22LR bullet costs $0.12. Much, much cheaper than one visit to the vet.

• In

Actually buying the gun and the ammo is much cheaper than one visit to the vet.  Yeah, I figured I would get some negative votes from the animal lovers for saying what makes the most sense.  It is just a dog, so get over it!!!

Vets are not legally allowed to take someone's property away. They CAN, however, file a report of animal abuse.

Allergies are treatable, infected teeth can be taken out. Treat your dog properly.