Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

How do I start a business at 16 years old?

I'm a high school and I want to make a business to save up for college because working at a job isn't what I can do with school. But I can manage my time to make a business if I know it will go somewhere. I don't think my mom is going to help me get into college or buy me the things I need right now. Any help? I've searched it up online but it's not really clear and transparent.

I have also been asked to model, but I don't know if that's a great idea either. But it would be easier to get money for college.

• Mark

I hire a teen to mow my lawn.  $120/mo in the summer.  Cash.

What can you do?  Babysit, nanny, mowing, gardening, cleanup, "mommy's helper".  Can you make things and sell on Etsy?  Do you have a computer w/ a scanner?  Offer to scan and digitize old photos, or create custom scrapbooks.  Do you have a talent?  Teach beginning piano.

• DON W

I agree about the yard work, which can be done by either guys or girls.  In the past I paid $25 per mowing, with the opportunity to earn money in the fall raking leaves, and in the winter shoveling snow.  Couldn't find the teens willing to do so, so had to go back to doing it myself.

• Judy

first you have to figure out what kind of business you want to start. Then research it, and write a business plan to help you analyze whether you can make money with it, and what you need to do to start and operate it.

Anything you do will have to be done informally, since you are not of legal age to sign a contract. Minor children can only start a business with the help of a parent. How, depends on what you want to do and what your mom/dad will help you do. Good luck and you are very bright to be thinking well in advance. I bet when you do get your business off to a good start, it will work out great. I see you as very successful in the future.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
    • Nuff Sed

There is no "legal age" to sign a contract. That is an ignorant myth.

• Frank

You can model. You need an AGENT. You will NOT make enough money to do anything.

You do NOT need to go to college. 90% of those who go...waste time, money and energy on a degree that ends up being COMPLETELY USELESS. Don't do it.

If you want to be an ENGINEER, LAWYER or PHYSICIAN...you need to get a degree. Everything else...not so much. If you 'insist'...fine. GO TO A COMMUNITY COLLEGE and get ALL THE PRELIMINARIES out of the way. Then go to a "graduate" school for a masters. Pay as you go. DO NOT GO INTO DEBT for an EDUCATION. It takes 6 year for the average degree these days...which it SHOULD NOT...take 10 years...WHO CARES.

Most of what people need for a degree...YOU CAN GET ONLINE...and MUCH if not all...IS FREEEEEEE!!!!

I know it won't be clear to a 16 year old. The reality is you just can't offer anything at this point in your life, so in other words you won't be able to start a business.

School, and maybe home work is something you should focus on.

People who have their own businesses focus on their business.

I already finished school, and I can offer people something. I am not in high school like you, and I finished college a long time ago.

get a mentor, survey for opportunities, carry out feasibility study, start to acquire the licenses hardware software and people

99.9% of 16 year olds cannot for all practical reasons. (Your ideas are not any better than anyone elses)

Getting a job would be hard but possible.

Tons of girls get asked to model. There are companies that try to lure parents into spending hundreds or more on professional photos when they have little practical chance of being a model.

• DON W

Stay away from offers "to model".  Most of the offers are designed to trap you into sex videos and other forms of pornography.

Find a job and save, save, save until you are 18. Then think about starting a business.

You can't open a business until you're 18. It's the law.

• pearlmar

Most states require a person to be 18 years old in order to be legally responsible. You could start a business younger than 18 years old but you would need an adult to be responsible, sign contracts, collect money, obtain licensing, report taxes and establish banking relationships.