Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 9 months ago

Do you wish that the UK could return to the 1950s?

There were far less immigrants. People went to church. Society was far more moral. Homosexuality was illegal. There was far less crime. Murderers were hanged. There was National Service. People were more patriotic. There were far less liberals. Children respected authority. We were a superpower until 1956. We made things. Etc etc.

• Biff

I'm not sure. It was better in respect of some of those things but there were downsides in terms of people dying of diseases that are now preventable and from horrendous air polution in the towns and cities from coal burning and vehicles. And there was no internet. Even at the beginning of this century the world was a better place than it is now.

And people knew the difference between 'less' and 'fewer'.

I do. 1950 before common era.

why would anyone want to go back to the bad old days. People have never had it so good, going back wouldnt be worthy of any serious consideration

• ,

My Grandad and his Brother ran away from national service, it's stupid trying to force that because people just won't. As for gays, well who is the victim? People still go to church they are still booming. There might not have been less crime, maybe it's detected better now you know...

• i was born in the 70's and would of liked to have lived through the 60's.

No I don’t, unless you are prepared to be bored to death. 

People were not more moral, that is a ridiculous claim. Things were just swept under the carpet. 

I was a time when everything was grey. The music was horrible, travel was only for the wealthy, the Cold War was was frightening, racism and misogyny was rife.

Source(s): I lived through them, and I have an excellent memory.

No. It has taken decades for that lot to start to die off.

Yes, I could take part in the border campaign and kill RUC men easily

The decline of GB started with those political correctness idiots.

who live in a bubble, away from the big cities 

Yes, wish the whole of the western world would. Was better. More family and community oriented.