how do you handle living around riffraff?

i live on a small council estate in greater manchester, lived around here since 2005, its okay, i'm left alone and everything, but there are ''riffraff'' about, living round about me, the degenerate undesirable type, typical riffraff...and as private male in my forties who lives alone and minds his own business, i get afraid sometimes...as i'm vulnerable because i cope with mental problems...and i want no association with the riffraff type...the type who look like and behave like they'd rob their own mothers..

the only time i leave my 3rd floor flat is to do grocery shopping across the road and go to the gym 2 times a week, even doing that i feel afraid, but try to put on a brave face...i live a lonely existence and have never developed any relationships...i just have my elderly parents who live far from me..

how can i stay safe and avoid this ''riffraff'' sort? what would i do if any riffraff approached me?  i think of these worrying things..

id value any help.

You've got to try to understand that the bourgeois are much worse than the riffraff. In fact, you'll find among the riffraff quite a few that, although uncouth, are authentic and vigorous in their intentions. The compromised bourgeois are in comparison puffed-up flabby pretenders with a talent for disguising mediocrity as excellence. 

just ignore them

Dunno, I like young people.

Some live in the old testament, but if you can't see them that's your look out.

I very much doubt that your occasional ventures outside your home would be seen as a threat - or even if much interest to the local *riffraff". Take the normal precautions; carry pepper spray or something. Smiling and being friendly can help to diffuse any potential threats. Just don't wear a Liverpool shirt! Good Luck!