How did AOC get elected?

It is absolutely mind blowing that there are people stupid enough to vote for her.

Attachment image

7 Answers

Relevance
  • James
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

She ran against a Republican, they make everyone look smarter.

• Tmess2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Unfortunately, most Congressional Districts are drawn so that the primary is everything.  That is how two Republican Congressman got re-elected in 2018 while under federal indictment.  (Both have recently pled.)  Regardless of what you think of the Congresswoman, the Republican candidates for that district never had a chance.

Primaries tend to be low turnout elections generally.  New York decided (at least for the 2018 elections, they may have fixed it since then) to have a separate primary for federal offices. The federal primary took place in late June.  The primary for state and local offices took place on the traditional September date.

By way of comparison, the 2016 election (a presidential election) had almost 200,000 voters in New York 14th District (with the Democrat -- Joe Crowley getting 75% of the vote).  The 2018 general election had over 140,000 voters (with AOC getting 75% of the vote).  The federal primary only had 30,000 voters.   The statewide Democratic primary for state and local offices, on the other hand, averaged over 50,000 voter per Congressional District.  Since statewide, that was about 40% of the ultimate vote for the Democratic nominee in the general election, it is likely that the number in the 14th district was closer to 45,000.  Even so that would have been 50% higher than the number that voted in the federal primary (which might have made the difference).

In a low turnout primary, it is possible for unusual candidates to win (see Kris Kobach in Kansas).  Joe Crowley was just a little too moderate and a little too white for a progressive district that is majority minority.  He also was caught a little by surprise by having a serious primary challenger as he was climbing the Democratic leadership and was potentially on track to some day becoming speaker.  As such, he did not necessarily have the type of campaign organization that was designed for a close contest.  On the other hand, AOC's campaign was based on running a below the radar campaign that would piece by piece get her to approximately 17,000 voters -- enough to win given the turnout, but less than 10% of the registered voters in her district.  

In today's America, that story is unfortunately the norm.  It takes 10% or less of registered voters to win a lot of offices, many of them more important than members of Congress like mayors, school boards, city councils, etc.

• 1 month ago

Because there are a lot of people smarter than you.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lili
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Cody, darling, if you think the "meme" is at all important, YOU should be embarrassed.  Why little boys and girls like you are still so hung up on "memes" is a good question. The whole concept is utterly passe and makes you look like idiots.  Move on.  Develop some sophistication, for God's sake.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I'd explain it to you but you are obviously way to stupid to understand.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lili
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I repeat: if "memes" still mean anything to you, you are WAY behind the times.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Go tell her constituents that you think they are stupid, dear.  I'd love to see their reaction.

But, of course, you'd be terrified to do that, wouldn't you, little boy?

My guess is that she's considerably better educated and more accomplished than you are. You're the high school drop-out type who can't stand it that a good-looking woman is more successful than he is.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lili
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Aw -- is that REALLY the best a little boy like you can do? So unoriginal and lacking in  intelligence and wit. Grow up. You're a mess.  By the way, I've been happily married for 33 years, and my husband and I LOVE the word "****". It turns us on. You don't know much about sex and eroticism, do you?

• 1 month ago

Easy, the long term incumbent felt the election was his and did little or no campaigning. Look what happened.

• 1 month ago

She is Puerto Rican in a district that is at least 65% Puerto Rican. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.