Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Is my uncle cruel to his dogs?

They are pretty much outside all the timez and otherwise pretty well cared for. They have about an 8x7 kennel with a tarp covering it with dog house and blankets in them, but in still worried about them. Its 44 outside and raining. On really cold night its is in the upper 20, and low 30s, but that's not real common. Hes had them for 5 years, and they've always been fine, but should I say something to him, or should I mind my own business. I asked my cousin, and he said that one is a lab, and the other one is a lab mixed with a sled dog, or whatever you call it.

• TK

Why does he have the dogs? If they're confined in a dog run, while much better than letting them run in the neighborhood, then they aren't companions, they aren't much good for home protection, and I assume they aren't taken out to herd sheep or anything interesting. So why does he have them? Maybe you could ask him and then build on his response to see if he'd be interested in bringing them inside at night.

Not your dog so there's pretty much nothing you can do. Doesn't matter what the dog breed is, no dog should ever be outside like that and should never be in a cage. 

All you can do is report him to AC or a rescue and that's it 

If they've survived this far, this probably is a MYOB situation.  However as they get older, being outside through a cold Winter won't be to their advantage - especially if either is now arthritic.

They need an insulated kennel, with a raised bench so they can get up out of any drafts and it should be located facing away from the prevailing wind.   Any bedding should be adequate and if blankets, kept dry.    Water must be clear of ice, obviously.  And I hope they have lots of off-lead exercise and HUMAN COMPANY.

Personally, other than a working dog who because he's valued, would be well looked after, I see no point having a dog and not having it in with me, at least overnight!!

Whether or not you speak to him would depend on how receptive he's likely to be!!

Sounds kinda rough for the dogs but if they are happy and healthy I don't see how you should make his business yours