Shawn asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 1 month ago

Curious about the transition to state-level societies using Mesopotamia, Egypt, and the Indus Valley. ?

My uncle and I had a conversation about archaeology and his time in the field. Seemed very interesting, although I asked him some questions that he couldn't answer - so I decided to take it to the net. 

How do archaeologists characterize what they call ‘complexity’ and the transition to state-level societies?

*in not using

Civilization refers to human cultures that are complex in terms of technology, science, and division of labor. They are often measured by their progress in agriculture, long-distance trade, occupational specialization, a governing class, and urbanism. Aside from these core elements, a civilization is often marked by any combination of a number of secondary elements, including a developed transportation system, writing, standardized measurement,

currency, contractual and tort-based legal systems, characteristic art and architecture, mathematics, enhanced scientific understanding, metallurgy, political structures, and organized religion.

• Shawn1 month agoReport

Great insight, but I'm asking about the transition from a small civilization to state-level societies pertaining to the said regions! Not a rubric or factors on the transition of civilization as a whole and what depicts its transition. Does that make sense? Please be more precise!