Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

My 2020 Corolla manual states to use top tier regular 87. What if I use unbranded 87 gas instead?

The intake valves of new car should be very clean. I don't think just because I pump unbranded 87, the valves will suddenly get clogged.

Top tier is often 30 cents more a gallon than unbranded. 

I filled up from Exxon though there was an unbranded station, opposite. 

• Erik

Does it actually say that in the manual?  "You must use top tier gas?"  Cause that doesn't make sense that it would say that... However, if you bought a brand new car, you should be able to afford it.  If you're putting 15 gallons in to fill the tank, that's less than $5, not a huge amount.

unbranded will work just fine

go for it man. It doesnt hurt to try it. 

Source(s): 79

Let me ask you this: How much would a valve job cost you? If you do not follow instructions, the warranty is voided.

With a $25,000 investment, 30 cents isn't all that much.

Use what the manufacturers recommend, it's that simple. They should know, after all.

• Pat F85

@ anon, about where do you & your 2020 Corolla live ? I want to check 'Gas Buddy' to see if there's a 30 cent difference in local 87 octane prices.

One or 2 times unbranded 87 gas isn't going to do any harm to the new car provided there is no sediment , water or any contimants in underground tanks of the station --- unbranded stations have very poor record on that.

But if you keep using unbranded on regular basis, it can lead to excess carbon deposits on the intake valves. 

Dealer will not cover that removal by warranty and they will charge somewhere like $150 or to clean the valves  -- which is much more than the 30 cents extra per gallon. 

If you can afford a brand new car but are too cheap to at least buy top tier 87 there's something wrong with your head.  If $4 per tank is stretching your budget then I predict a repo in your future. 

That's right, ignore the instructions from the engineers that designed the car. Put in cheap gas, and heck, why not use vegetable oil in the crankcase instead of the oil they say to use. 

Then in a few years, when the engine goes bad, you'll be on here telling people how lousy Toyotas are, right?

• Bill

Your 'persons' have no idea what they are talking about.  Gas and water do not mix, gas is lighter and any water settles to the bottom of the tank. 

Thirty cents more will be very much cheaper than when the dealer refuses to honor the warranty because you did not follow the owner's manual. A trip to an independent mechanic is about $80 an hour when your dealer could fix your car for free until the warranty expires.

do what the manual says