Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

What do I do with my dog that was aggresive towards someone?

I was at the light parade for our county and I brought my husky with me. He's a gorgeous boy. He's well trained and loves to go places with me all the time. Well, several people have came to pet him, other dogs sniffed him and everything was great. Until this guy came around the corner with his dog, at first he didn't see my husky, so his dog and my husky were sniffing each other and everything was great. But then, the guy saw my husky, yanked his dog back, and then my husky started growling and pulling me toward this guy. Take into consideration that he's never done this and he's about two years old. The guy called my dog a viscous animal and continued to stand there, even threatned to shoot my husky. I'm not too sure what to do. Like, do I even trust him in public anymore or was this guy just a one time thing? I don't want this happening again. Like, what if it was a kid??? Please help!!!! 

• TK

Your dog growled and lunged at a man who was acting unhinged and you're worried about your dog? Sounds like your dog is just fine.

No person in their right mind threatens to shoot a leashed dog at a public event. Be glad he didn't actually try to do it. I feel sorry for his dog.

Viscous is a thick liquid.  Do you mean vicious?

I have no idea - I wasn't there.  YOU are the owner, and you don't know if the problem was the man, the other dog, something else?  My GSD is very large and does not like men in baseball caps.  I have narrowed her aggression down to this one fact.

And, no, I don't take her to parades.

• PR

Are you sure your dog was actually growling in aggression at the man, or wanting to play with his dog who had just "run off"? Remember that dogs bark, growl and even "nip" while playing with one another. If your dog is otherwise good with people, consider he may not have actually been showing aggression.

If it were me, I would take the dog to obedience classes and see how he reacts in a controlled situation. Do the exercises prescribed, and observe his reactions to the other dogs. Ask the trainer about the experience you had. Be sure you go to classes offered through a school recreation department or similar, and not at a pet supply store. If you do classes at a pst as a temporary exercise, ALSO do some through the school since these instructors are much more experienced in training.

In regards to how the man reacted and his claims, it will be up to you to determine what actually happened so you know in the future between you and your dog. Some people exaggerate things, and some don't really know dog behavior. He should not have allowed his dog to go up to your dog without your specific permission. I never allowed my dogs to sniff other dogs.

Please, also look up "dog play fighting" since this could have been what was going on.

I also personally would either not attend things with so much stimulation such as parades, etc., or be especially aware of what is going on with your dog. When we took our dog in public, we always knew what was right near her. Besides that, a "light parade" is a very unique experience if it has any flashing lights. This could also excite most any dog. Our Border Collie would have been out of her mind if she was near any flashing lights, trying to figure out where they were coming from, and wanting to chase them!

People need to request permission to touch your dog. Take your dog to a public area consistently (like a supermarket parking lot) and expose him to other people and perhaps pets, to help extinguish his potential aggression. Move next to a pet park, helping him socialize.

• Jojo

The fact the guy yanked his dog back and interrupted the two dogs sniffing each other is what I think provoked your Husky to go on the defense. The other dogs owner interrupted an important social investigation between the two dogs and dogs on leads usually feel very vulnerable when approached by another dog, and may behave more aggressively if they think the other dog may be acting suspiciously and will go into instinctively into defense mode. I very much doubt this one instance will make your dog react the same in the future. My dog was attacked by another dog, and my dog was next to me on a lead, but it has not made him aggressive to all  other dogs he has come across when out on his walks.  

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years.

I'd treat this as a one-off.   But just be aware that he could react like this.   Could you use a head collarl when in a crowded situation, to give you more control of him?  Personally I'd not have left either of mine 'sniffing' another strange dog regardless of whether or not the owner saw this going on.  It's up to you to keep your dog out of situations like this in my opinion (the need to be growling and pulling you towards anybody).

Clearly your dog was absolutely right about this individual!