? asked in News & EventsOther - News & Events · 8 months ago

In England do those wrongfully imprisoned receive compensation from the government?

2 Answers

  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    If they take the government to court they may - but there is no general entitlement to recompense for wrongful conviction.

  • 8 months ago

    Nobody receives compensation "from the government". Governments do not have money. They collect money from taxpayers and spend it (of course wasting a great deal in the process).  It is taxpayers' money. So if you meant to ask: "do those wrongfully imprisoned receive compensation from the taxpayer?" the answer is:

    You can apply for compensation if your conviction has been overturned (or quashed) by the courts and any of these apply:

     * your appeal was successful and it was submitted 28 days or more after your conviction in the Crown Court, or 21 days or more after sentencing for a conviction in a magistrate’s court

     * your conviction was overturned after it was referred to the Court of Appeal by the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC)

     * you’ve been granted a free pardon

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.