What is the best concert piano?

• Nicey8

Steinway and Fazioli. Steinway is a traditional concert favorite. I have heard a Fazioli being played by Ms Angela Hewitt and it sounded crystal clearer than a Steinway. However, many pianists are still more used to Steinway sound.

Bechstein and Bosendorfer are also very good. A Yamaha CFX is also very good.

Ultimately, it is up to a musician's personal preference. Richter, a very good master pianist, liked Yamaha pianos.

The Bosendorfer Imperial Grand is the acoustic Grand piano I always like to play whenever it is available to me.

MoArt......... .

I recommend that you try to get your hands on Cecil Taylor's Bösendorfer piano featuring nine extra lower-register keys.

• RJ

Steinway is the best concert piano 

It depends who you ask, and even within one brand each instrument will have different qualities. Obviously a brand new Yamaha will likely sound better than a 100 year old Steinway.

The nicest piano I ever played was a Fazioli - but they are not common and are VERY expensive, mostly because of that rarity. Steinway make 20 times as many pianos as Fazioli.

Of the big three I'd prefer a Bosendorfer to a Steinway or Bechstein - although I certainly wouldn't complain about having any of them!

• Mamianka

My husband is a fine pianist, and has been a soloist at Lincoln Center several times.  When first married and poor, we had a Yamaha for our apartment. Sold it - new Steinway in 70s.  TEFLON!  Sold it - 1916 Steinway, totally rebuilt. STUNNING!!!!

Steinway, Boesendorfer, and Bechstein are the three best.