In Blues when something is referred to as being in the "Key of E", is it in E Major or E Minor?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

In western music most songs are in major keys.  So normally the "major" does not have to be stated.  If it says only "key of E", the assumption is that it is E major.  they will always say "key of E minor" if they are referring to a minor key.

• Keith B2 months agoReport

That has been my understanding as well, but since the E hexatonic blues scale is more closely related to the E minor scale than E major (G instead of G# and D instead of D#), E Blues feels more minor than major.

• mars
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There's Major and Minor Blues. Blues is a Minor-Pentatonic scale.

• 2 months ago

Usually, E minor. I'm not a musician, so my answer could be wrong.

• Me2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Blues has its own peculiar characteristics, such as the inclusion of the minor 3rd in pieces that would otherwise be perceived as played in a major key.  In fact, the minor 3rd can be so predominant that the major chord acts much more like a "color chord" than the major key.

So bear in mind that the key for a blues piece might be called out as major, while being played in a mostly minor mode.

• Alex3 weeks agoReport

E major for example, has four sharps in its time signature; G#, F#, D#, and C#. In blues, the E chord normally has a "D" note (minor 7th for an E chord) added to make an E7, a chord not found naturally in E major, but in natural minor. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.