Van wont Start?

I got a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. I turn the key and it makes no sound. I took the alternator and got it tested and it was still good. I have no clue why it wont start.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No Crank, No Start. have the battery tested or try jumping it off. Get to that start with a testlight and test you post and trigger. thats where i would start

• Sum4 weeks agoReport

yeah, jumping it off a cliff 

• 2 months ago

Dead battery

Bad ignition switch

Bad neutral safety switch/range switch

Why would you take the alternator to be tested?

The alternator charges the battery and unless the red battery charge warning light is lit there probably is not a problem with the alternator charging the battery.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Get a jump.  Car starts, get the battery charged and load tested.  

No start, check the starter connections and tighten if required.  Try to start.

No start, wiggle the shifter in Park and in Neutral while trying to start with a good battery.  Car starts, park/neutral switch could be bad. 

No start, replace the start relay in the fuse box.  Car starts, you got lucky. 

Still no start, get a jumper cable and connect it from battery negative to a metallic portion of the engine.  Car starts, the car has a bad ground cable to the engine.

No start, take the starter out this time and get it tested.  If it tests bad, you are lucky.  If it tests good, put the starter back and maybe it is time for a tow.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Why would you think the alternator was the problem?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

did you also get the battery tested?

• Jason
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Test the battery. Test the starter. Easiest way to test a starter...jump the relay right there in the fuse box. 

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

First, replace anything you can get loose. Throwing parts at a car is an age-old technique. Connect them up wrong for added excitement.

When you admit defeat it is time to try something else. You might use electrical test equipment to find out what's actually wrong. Or if you're unsure how electricity works, you might instead have a real mechanic work on it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.