Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 3 months ago

Can I just cut down any trees on my property?

This is my property. I want to cut 3 trees that I feel are ugly and unnecessary. I don't want any tickets or anyone throwing a hissy fit when I start placing all the debris on my curb for pickup. Its just trees and trees make pests and insect and lots of yard work. 

As another poster noted, we have no idea where in the world you are located.

If you're in the United States, for example, you can generally cut down trees on your own property if you wish without a problem. The exceptions might be if you have a Homeowners Association or something like that, or if the trees are within the city's right of way (near the street), in which case they may be city-owned. 

On some commercial properties a certain amount of green space or trees may be required due to zoning laws.

Check with your city hall if you're unsure. 

depends on the tree, where you are, state, county, city, HOA rules etc... 

• Diana

If you're in the U.S., you can't cut down trees that are at the curb, because they're government property.  However, you can try asking for permission, or get the government to take down the trees for you.  

• zipper

First make sure they will pick up the trees if you leave them on the curb, some places will not do that. And with any luck one of the trees will fall on top of you and put an end to your stupid questions!

If its your property it'll be fine, as long as your trees don't fall on neighbor or city land.

Check with your local council

• patty

are they native trees? then someone might report u.

• nbsale

Trees are good. Don't be lazy--take good care of them.

Some areas have ordinances that you can't cut down any trees unless you replace them with an "equal" amount of trees. Equality is defined by the sum of the diameters. If you cut down a 12 inch diameter tree, you'd have to replace it with two 6 inch trees, or some other combination adding up to 12 inches.

In some areas you have to bag or bundle yard waste, and attach a sticker (which has a nominal cost). This covers the extra cost of disposing of the waste, when it can't go into a landfill.

E.g., where I used to live the cost is as follows:

Volume-based Collection Program ($1.95/sticker*): Each can or bag must have a prepaid yard waste sticker attached in order to be collected.

Optional Seasonal Collection Program ($125.00/year): No prepaid sticker is required under this program. Residents are billed annually for this program for an unlimited amount of yard waste collection each week.

• oikoσ

If you really want to lower the property value, go right ahead, provided that there is no HOA.

• CB

It would depend on the laws and community covenants where you live this is a WORLD WIDE questions and answer website.