patty
patty asked in PetsBirds · 1 month ago

my budgie has been lifting up her water and seed trays, why?

Prison Riot. Talk t her, get a "cuddle" bone & bird toys. Spend time with her.

They want out so they can fly around and play. It's a typical "bored bird" response.

Possibly looking for a way out. I always give birds plenty of freedom

That's fairly common parrot behavior. There are several potential reasons for it.

1. It makes a cool noise.

2. Maybe it will come apart. Anything that can come apart, should.

3. It gets your attention.

3a. It bothers you. One of our amazons was doing this about 90 seconds ago because we're supposed to share our salad with him right about now, but we're not having salad tonight. He does not approve and he's letting us know. (we took the bowl away, and he had to resort to yelling at us).

• patty

maybe I was  not putting enough seed in her container.

My budgies do the same with their seed trays and the purpose is to get the seeds to the surface because they get buried by the empty husks. That's when I know they need more seed.

I have no idea why your bird does that with the water tray unless it's learned behaviour from the seed tray foray. 

I recommend using a water tube instead because it stops them getting seed and faeces in the water which is definitely not healthy. 

Another reason might be boredom if the bird is on his own. I always leave the music on for mine. They love it, particularly rock and roll!

• Lv 5

Yes, I think it's become a habit for your bird and she doesn't discriminate between seed and water hoppers. 

• Rick

wants to be a weight lifter ...........................