Learning violin or piano after age 50?

Can one start learning them age 50+ and finally be able to play some pieces?

Favorite Answer

Mu husband teaches piano, and I teach flute - since 1973.  Over the years, we have had many adult students - they did not have an opportunity when they were younger, but now have the time.  You need to find a qualified teacher, and set aside time for daily practice - even 30 minutes a day at first.  And you need realistic patience - you will not be concert ready in months!

• Max

Yes, absolutely. You need a qualified teacher that is not only good, but also can teach very well. You wont be playing classical pieces right away, but you can eventually with patience and of course, serious practice.

Hope this helped.

Max

Of course you can, you can learn anything at any age. Especially nowadays when people are working a lot of their lives and then retire when they are older

Yes, I was older than that the first time I touched a violin.  I'm not great but I can play recognizable tunes.

• cmm1 month agoReport

Awesome! Good for you! Thank you for sharing that!

Technically, yes. You can learn new skills at any age. Whether or not you'd be able to find a tutor used to working with adults and/or those with arthritis is another matter.

Yes, you can learn then.

What makes you think you can't?

• audrey

You could, but why bother?