Learning violin or piano after age 50?

Can one start learning them age 50+ and finally be able to play some pieces?

Mu husband teaches piano, and I teach flute - since 1973.  Over the years, we have had many adult students - they did not have an opportunity when they were younger, but now have the time.  You need to find a qualified teacher, and set aside time for daily practice - even 30 minutes a day at first.  And you need realistic patience - you will not be concert ready in months!

Music is for everyone, and you can learn anytime! One thing I will say is find yourself a teacher, not some useless app. You cannot learn music from a machine!

The teacher will have plently of books and sheet music they will lend you to get you started, along with helping you with posture and hand position, not to mention fingering. Piano is probably easier to start if you're unsure about reading music, I play the piano, and it's great to teach you about music theory and musicality in general. There's a lot more stuff to remember in violin - the different notes are not marked out for you, and not only do you have to focus on playing the right notes, but also playing them correctly!

Get a couple of years of piano under your belt before touching the violin. After that your piano teacher will be able to recommend some of their violinist friends. Remember - piano is not playing arrangements of the latest pop hits but instead enjoying the sound you are making and expressing yourself through the music, and interpreting how the composer wants you to feel.

Good on you, and keep practising!

• Max

Yes, absolutely. You need a qualified teacher that is not only good, but also can teach very well. You wont be playing classical pieces right away, but you can eventually with patience and of course, serious practice.

Hope this helped.

Max

Of course you can, you can learn anything at any age. Especially nowadays when people are working a lot of their lives and then retire when they are older

Yes, I was older than that the first time I touched a violin.  I'm not great but I can play recognizable tunes.

Technically, yes. You can learn new skills at any age. Whether or not you'd be able to find a tutor used to working with adults and/or those with arthritis is another matter.

Yes, you can learn then.

What makes you think you can't?

You could, but why bother?