M asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 year ago

Large blood clot a little bit smaller than the size of my palm during period. Is it serious enough to go to the ER?

My period came yesterday, as expected. When I woke up today I had bled through my pad and clothing. I was experiencing excruciating cramps since last night. I got into the tub and I felt my pelvic area contracting and the blood clot/tissue came out. I usually see clots, but much smaller. I'm changing pads about every two hours. My period usually lasts between 4 to 6 days.

I have sex a 9 days before my period where the condom broke. I thought that since I was done ovulating the chances of conception was low. 

My Mother and friend think I should go to the ER but is it that serious?

If anyone comes across this question, it was not an emergency. I was told it was due to a hormone imbalance. All tests were normal. What was abnormal was the thickness of my endometrium lining. 

• Edna
    1 year ago

You've bleeding through pads and clothing; you passed a palm-sized clot of what appeared to be blood; you're suffering excruciating cramps; and it feels as if your uterus is contracting. That is VERY serious and you don't know WHAT'S causing it!  Get yourself to an ER. You might be having a miscarriage. 

(But, if you ARE having a miscarriage, you got pregnant a lot longer ago than just 9 days ago). If you were having a miscarriage only 9 days after conception, you would hardly notice it - you would just think you were having a normal period. 

• Lauren
    1 year ago

This is considered heavy bleeding. You also mention excruciating cramps. That's not good. Are you feeling dizzy or are you still in excruciating pain? Those are good reasons to go to the ER. If the pain has subsided and you have no other symptoms, it's up to you whether or not you want to go the ER but since you haven't had these symptoms before, you should consider seeking medical care. Is there an urgent care walk-in clinic? That's also an option at this point. Depending on how much blood you are losing, this could be serious. No one can know what's going on without a doctor performing a physical exam.    

• 1 year ago

Go to the ER right now. Why would anyone think this isn't serious?

1 year ago

Of course it is serious. It sounds like an early miscarriage. It wouldn't be a pregnancy from the 9 days before but the month before. Go to the ER.

1 year ago

I can't believe you'd rather take advice from strangers than from your mother and friend.