Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 3 months ago

Can pilots use a noise enhancing technique for arrivals?

We live 25 miles from our local airport. The noise is unbearable, children in our neighborhood wake up crying it is so loud. I read that pilots can use a method that would reduce noise, however, it sounds like the pilots sometimes put the jets in another "gear" making it even louder than it has to be because a jet at 3,000 feet can sound much louder than another jet at the same exact altitude.

Its not up to the pilots i blame idiots who move clotto an airport then complain, guess wythe airport was there first 

• M.

clotto
      covfefe
      close to

• Ludwig

As a pilot, I always 'boost up' the noise flaps on take-off and landing. This is because it saves the company money. If people make a formal request to the airport to have planes banned from doing this, they will. Otherwise of course, we will just continue. Do not be 'fobbed off' by any answers you get which try to evade the issue.

• M.

You must mean a noise cancelling/reducing technique, not enhancing. 

Arrivals are generally much quieter than departures!  An arrival is likely the quietest flight (engine noise) situation.

Departures are the loudest.

There are TWO different landing techniques. One is used by the USAF and most airlines. You put out a lot of flaps, throttle back the engines and sort of float the plane down onto the ground. That works well most of the time but if you run into any wind shear then the engines are throttled down and it is hard to power up and pull up. So you end up getting slammed into the ground. The other way is to do it like NAVY pilots, you come in with a lot of power on, not much in the way of flaps, use the spoilers to cut the lift and park the plane rather hard onto the ground. If you get hit by shear you still have enough power on that you can easily pull up. Most pilots use the NAVY technique in bad weather so they can pull up if needed. As far as noise, you might consider getting better windows with double panes, keeping your windows closed or buying noise canceling head phones and wear them. Perhaps you should have considered all this before you went and moved near an airport, I bet it was there long before you were.

• Dan B

The only way to reduce jet engine noise is to reduce power. If power is reduced too much, the sound of a crashing airplane and emergency vehicles is more deadening.

I lived 15 miles from one of the 10 busiest airports in the USA, directly under the flight path, for 3 years and rarely had a problem with noise.

No, pilots do not use a technique to increase noise just to piss you off.

They do have noise abatement procedures at many airports which are intended to reduce noise for local residents.

When airplanes are approaching to land, they are mainly coasting as they gradually fall out of the sky, they often have the engines at idle speed or only slightly above idle, so they're actually pretty quiet. But sometimes they need to adjust if they're too low to early, so they rev the engines to get back to the proper altitude based on their distance from the airport. So while most airplanes landing over your house will be idling their engines there will always be some that happen to be reeving them up to adjust their approach right as they fly over your house. They're not trying to wake up your kids, they're just trying to get to the runway before they hit the ground.

Also, some airplanes are louder than others. Newer planes are quieter, so some of the loud ones might just be older planes. As time goes on and more of the old planes are replaced there will be fewer and fewer loud ones.

• Dick

The airport was there before you decided to move there. I'm sure you knew that aircraft were noisy. You located under a flight path. It was there before you were. Why start to complain now?  Turbine powered aircraft have become exponentially quieter with the high by-pass engines. If it bothers you after this amount of time, I suggest you move.

I've spent most of my life working at "the" airport. We located airports away from town, so the noise wouldn't bother anybody. Then damned fools like you, build under the flight path and start complaining, until the airport has to move. I'm tired of my job moving farther away every few years. I hope you go deaf so you can't hear us anymore. We were there first!!!!!!!!

There is no such thing as "noise enhancing technique".

And the noise abatement techniques involve taking off with reduced power, or to climb faster. When on final approach, the engines are essentially at idle, can't reduce much more.That said, I notice that 8 months ago, you posted a question stating that you were living 21 miles from the airport. Looks like you can't even lie consistently.

I live less than 1 mile from an international airport. I know how it sounds. At 20+miles, you are just complaining for the sake of complaining.

• Todd

The quiet jets are landing. You can hardly hear them at all. The loud ones are taking off. There is indeed another "gear" so to speak. You need a lot of power to take off, and only a little to land. Unfortunately you are probably stuck at the wrong side of the airfield. There's not much you or anybody else can do about that other than move. A jet aircraft arriving would only make noise while doing maneuvers to line up. Same problem, only this time you are inconveniently located on a common approach path. Somehow, I doubt you are hearing landing craft though, because you said it's really loud.

• Julianna3 months agoReport

On flight radar they are arrivals. Arrivals are between 1,000 to 3,000 feet. Unfortunately, we get departures too between 6,000 to 10,000 feet.