Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 month ago

Can police unlock my phone?

iPhone X running iOS 12.3.2

So what are their options for both logical and psychical extraction?

The phone was in USB Restricted Mode, so my guess is they can't brute force my phone? Brute forcing my phone would be a child's play since it's a 4 digit numeral code. 

If they decide to install a jailbreak root, maybe their own or something like Checkra1n then they would have to put the phone in DFU mode right? They would enter the before first unlock mode. (BFU) and not be able to extract anything important?

I'm aware they could brute force with the jailbreak, but they would only have 10 tries so odds are 1 in 10000? 

I know they can't decrypt the phone since Apple uses AES 256 bit encryption, also I deleted iCloud backup and changed Apple ID password as well is two-factor authenticator enabled.

Also, they wouldn't be able to decrypt the password on the iPhone since it's on the secure enclave which doesn't trust the BootRoom which Checkra1n exploits? 

And also there exists no iTunes backup of the phone noir any paired devices.

I guess it would be impossible to unlock it right? What are their options? 

I'm aware they could plant a keylogger with checkra1n but I’m just gonna reboot the phone when it's handed back thus deleting the keylogger and restore the entire phone as well before using it again.

Also cellebrite doesn't support my iOS as stated on their website and greykit is no good with usb restricted mode

Thx for reading!

@Anonymous  The supreme court in my country (not US) ruled that you can only be forced by biometrics login, you can't be forced to reveal your password noir is it punnishble in not doing so. USB restricted mode is enabled thus Face ID is turned off. 

Torture is pretty illegal here 

@Boo the phone company? Dude if phone companies new backdoors into iPhones Apple would be screwed

They may not be able to unlock it, but if you want to hide evidence, the best thing is to physically destroy the phone. The recent shooter in Pensacola merely put a bullet through his phone, missing the tiny hard drive. The FBI were able to reconstruct it, and now all they need is a passcode. Incinerate your entire phone.

Another risk is a bugged phone. If you are already a suspect, your phone could be bugged with malware. This way, it will simply wait until you unlock your phone before executing. If it's a rootkit, it will be able to see and monitor everything.

The FBI has been able to unlock past iPhones. They paid Cellebrite about $1,000,000 to unlock the terrorist's phone. They cloned the hard drive and used brute force.

Source(s): Certified in cybersecurity
  • Lv 7

iphones are notoriously insane to try to crack, even for pro hackers.

they tried to force Apple to put in a backdoor, but they declined, even against legal pressures.

heck, when you just FORGET your password and lock yourself out, they just tell you to wipe it...

If I had something to hide then it would not be on my cell phone. Computers, and cell phones are devices that people will try to get into.

If I have something to hide then I would make sure to put it somewhere online. If I had something to hide then I would make it less conspicuous, so maybe nobody would want to look at it. If I were to put whatever I want to hide somewhere online then I would make sure the rest of the world can't see it. Certain people probably would be able to see it, but they might not look at. Because if I were to make what I wanted to hide less conspicuous then it might not attract attention.

You see if I were to put something I wanted to hide online then the police would never be able to find it. It does not matter if all the police worked together, and it would not make any difference to me if they hired all of the nerdiest people on this planet. The only way the police would be able to find whatever I hide is if I were to say where it is, and explained how it can be accessed.

After I put whatever I have online that I want to hide, then I would remove my HDD from my computer, and then destroy it, so it can't be used to find whatever I am hiding, and this would be reassurance that whatever I want to hide stays hidden.

Your method with Checkra1n has already been done but it can only dump cached files as they’re unencrypted. The cache files could be enough to incriminate you but they won’t have access to everything 

They are within their rights to try if they have probable cause. 

No.

And a brute force attack is not possible as the lock interval increases dramatically after the first few wrong attempts, with a permanent lock after ten errors, I believe.

They would not attempt it as then no one can access it.

The FBI could not bypass the iphone PIN lock, so a local police department cannot.

I believe they could get a warrant for data on the phone, if they have any evidence that the content relates to a criminal matter?

[See "Warrants for Electronic Data" in this article: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/search_warrant ]

If that happend, failing to unlock it then would be a breach of the warrant and you could be arrested / imprisoned (for Contempt of Court, at a guess).

Without evidence, they have no right to search it: 4th amendment rules.

Yes they can, if they can't force you to willingly give the code up they can get the phone company to unlock your phone

They can force you to give them the codes, either by going through the courts, or depending on their jurisdiction they could use torture to make you reveal them.