How do i use internet on my laptop at the beach ?

So i have an online business i want to go travelling to nice places and work on my laptop when there. Work at the beach, the island, on yachts etc

I heard some thing about a small box I put in my pocket ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

ON Your Smart Phone Hotspot and Enjoy Internet On Beach... :)

• 1 month ago

Use the hot spot on your phone.  Call your cellular provider and find out how much it will cost to use data in the place you are visiting so you know.

• 1 month ago

What you need is mobile data. If you already have a smart phone, you can usually tether (share) your phone's mobile data with your PC via USB or Wi-Fi. However, you have to make sure that your plan allows tethering and that you have enough mobile data for what you're going to be using it for. There are some plans/providers that give you a certain amount of data that you can use on your phone and/or on tethering. Other plans give you certain amount for your phone and a separate amount for tethering. Other plans don't give you allow you tethering at all. You will need to check your cell phone plan for more information.

The other alternative would be to buy a portable hotspot. This devices connects to your cell carrier through 4G/LTE. It then creates a Wi-Fi network that your devices can connect to. This is another good alternative, but you have to keep in mind the cost. The carriers like to charge a good amount for mobile data, so depending on what carrier you go with and what plan you choose, it may be over $50+/month just for the hotspot. This is also assume that wherever you travel to has coverage of whatever provide you're using. If you travel internationally, you better make sure to check how much it will cost. International roaming data charges can be exorbitant depending on where you go and your provider.

Another less popular method is to buy a cellular USB modem. This plugs into your PC's USB port and with a valid SIM card and service, you can get Internet on your PC wherever you have service. These used to be rather common in the mid-2000s, but since most people nowadays have smartphones, they have not been used much today. You can still buy them on eBay or other online sites, but carriers typically don't sell them anymore.

• 1 month ago

You'd need a dongle

If you're travelling abroad, this could be a very expensive option using roaming

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Thats called a hotspot; a wifi router small enough to fit in your pocket and go anywhere with you

• 1 month ago

You need cellular (ideally G4/LTE) service.  Then you can either enable the hot spot functionality on your smart phone or you can acquire a device known as a Mi-Fi.  Mi-Fi is like a home router that connects to the cellular network vs wired broadband.  Any smart phone can be turned into a Mi-Fi by enabling the hot spot feature, then your laptop will connect to your phone via Wi-Fi.

If you're traveling to other countries you will need to get a cellular plan (SIM card) in that country.  

Just be aware that cellular service is land based.  It will work on a boat, providing the boat is in close proximity to (a couple miles) to land.  Once you venture to far from land there is no cellular service.  You can acquire an Iridium Go for satellite connectivity, but it's not going to work like having a broadband connection.  https://www.iridium.com/products/iridium-go/

Watch this YouTube video where Jason Wynn (sailing Vlogger) explains how they get connected to the Internet while traveling.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9M9q1leaJI

Youtube thumbnail

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Getting sand or saltwater in your laptop will void the warranty.

• bob1 month agoReport

Its out of warranty anyway.

• 1 month ago

The Apple iPhone can be used as a hot spot. It connects to the internet through LTE (phone) and your computer can connect to it with WiFi.

Note that in some areas you may be close enough to public WiFi to use it directly. For example if you have Xfinity all of their modems act at hot spots.

• bob1 month agoReport

I have HTC M9

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.