Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

Is it safe to mix pain killers? ?

I have the flu and the muscle aches are so bad. I took ibuprofen 8 hours ago and it didn't help much. Now I want to take extra strength Tylenol. Is this safe? 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

when there are cold syrups available, they are mostly acetaminophen. in low doses for a sort periods of days they are usually fine. 

aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen are over-the-counter because they are relatively safe.

[see source]

in large doses, anything is dangerous; for instance aspirin poisons more children in the USA then anything else.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No If u do u will get server liver damage 

• 1 month ago

Yes thats fine. But make sure you're taking different kinds of medications. Tylenol and ibuprofen are different and some new studies are showing taking the two at the same time are actually more effective in pain management than prescription pain killers. You don't have to wait 4 hours between taking the two different kinds of medicine. Take each one as directed on the bottle and treat them as separate medications.

• 1 month ago

That’s fine we often give them together as they are completely different medications.

Source(s): ER PA
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Retief
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

As long as there is at least 4 hours between you should be fine.

• 1 month ago

The common forms of non-prescription pain-killers, the profens, paracetamol and aspirin all have different modes of action and are safe to take together, not exceeding their individual recommended doses. One caveat however, the profens and aspirin can both cause stomach irritation

Source(s): Pharmaceutical chemist
    • Autumn
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Aspirin and ibuprofen are both NSAIDs and shouldn't be taken together.

• 1 month ago

Yes, it is fine - as long as one is paracetamol/acetaminophen based and the other is ibuprofen based.

The two drugs work in different ways and do not affect each others safe dose limits.

Try interleaving them so one is working strongly when the other is wearing off.

[I'm not sure if tylenol is a brand name & may have different types with different ingredients, so I'm not commenting on that].

• Amaretta
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Tylenol is an American brand of paracetamol.

• 1 month ago

Yes, that's fine. You can even take them together, assuming you're healthy other than the "flu".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.