Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 month ago

We send out 2 yr old child to her grandparents several times a week while we work. They don't want to install baby gates and window guards?!?

They say, "Oh, she runs in and out of the bedroom. I come in there and find her playing with the light switch..hahaha..."

Or, "He climbs!! Wow!! No..we don't need the window guards. I'll just sit here and put my leg up so she doesn't climb."

Well, what happens when you have to walk out of the room to do something? (And she will)...she can climb out the window if it's open...

"Oh, it's January, the windows are closed."...well what happens when it gets warmer? (And they leave it wide open)...

We come back in the house to find her running from room to room barefoot on the wood floor. Feet come home filthy and one time with a splinter.

What is your take on this??

My father-in-law refused to remove or secure his cleaning products under his kitchen sink, which my husband and I strongly disagreed with, as our young child became mobile. He argued with me and was insulted, thinking I was incinuating he may not be carefully watching our son. I was furious that he did not understand the simplest of 'childhood safety practices in regard to the dangers of chemicals used in cleaning products.

My husband and I stood united and told his dad that if he wanted to babysit, he either HAD to do it at our house OR allow us to childproof his house.

Guess what happened? We childproofed his house! But, we had a plan...if he did not childproof, no babysitting at his house again.

It is YOUR JOB to keep your child safe. If grandparents do not take your child''s safety seriously, then they should not babysit and I don't give a flying fvck if it saves you money. What about saving your child''s life...

Howsoever, baby gates in every room when doors are present is ridiculous and windows can be opened from the top during warm weather. So, be  reasonable when accessing safety issues.

kids survived for a gazillion years without baby gates and window locks. if u trust ur kid enough to leave them with the grandparents then u gotta trust the will protect her.

• Edna

If you want to take your 2-year-old to you parents' house and ask you parents to babysit him (probably for free) while you're at work but you want your parents to make alterations to THEIR house and install baby gates and window guards to accommodate YOUR child, then YOU pay the cost of those items and for their installation. It's not your parents' responsibility to do so. 

If you don't want to do that, then find somebody else to babysit your child. 

Good thing you weren't a kid back when I grew up. You would never have survived. Back in the day there was no baby gate, no window guard, and if a kid got a splinter then you pulled it out and kept on going. If your kid does something that she shouldn't, correct her. If she is dirty from playing, be happy for her and give her a bath. If she gets a booboo, put a bandaid on it and stop acting like the world is coming to an end. In short~ stop insulating your child from life. Let her grow up like a kid, not a delicate piece of crystal.

So..............  I raised three children and NEVER had baby gates and window guards.

I just made sure they had toys to play with and watched what they did.

• edward

My home is not baby proof. The windows have a screen, my son is afraid of heights. I get that you want preventative measures but why can’t they baby sit at your house?

My take on this, is I question your parenting skills here!

You know the house isn't baby-proofed, yet you knowingly send her there despite that! Those are some poor decisions, that lie soely on you, do not try and shift the blame onto others here. As a parent it is YOUR job, and nobody elses' to make sure your child is safe and provided for, sorry, but you are failing miserably here, and you know it.

Also your parents seem irresponsible themselves! It's no wonder why you are screwed up yourself, seems the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree here. They know they have a baby to look after, yet they don't take the steps needed to make their home safe for their grand-daughter!

It's called common sense here, if they aren't willing to baby-proof their house, then you pony up the money and you put her in daycare where its much safer for her.

All of you seem messed up TBH.

You are paranoid

You're cheap and foolish.  This set of grandparents are not appropriate caregivers for your child, yet you continue to endanger your child by taking him/her to this house.  Why? Start looking for a licensed daycare center.  

• Tri-Harder

Somebody got all butt-hurt that Mamawisdom dared to point out the obvious and made a few accounts to vote her down.

• y

My take is that you keep bringing the kid there, you have the choice, the option. It is all you, not them.