Jason asked in HealthOther - Health · 8 months ago

My job is offering me health insurance but my doctors does not accept it. keep my doctor OR accept the insurance and change Dr's?

I am seeing my doctors under Medicaid.

• Eva

You may not have a choice. If you're making too much money, you'll no longer qualify for Medicaid and will have to take your employer's insurance or go without. If you still qualify for Medicaid there's no reason to switch to your employer's insurance that you would have to pay for.

• Jim

You'll probably have to change doctors.  See if they will have you pay them and submit the claims yourself. That's what my son had to do. Just make sure your insurance will cover the doctor as many of them have a list of doctors they cover.

My answer may not apply to you. I am a military veteran and I receive free medical care for life. When I retired and became age 62, I enrolled in Medicare. I later accepted care via the VA Medical Center. I chose a Medicare doctor from a list of doctors and I was requested to have a series of diagnostic tests. I understand the Medicare doctor needed evidence of my health, so I consented to the tests. I had a dispute with the doctor when he wanted to do very expensive tests so he could collect money from Medicare. I do not remember the co-pay charges, but I became angry when the doctor wanted to perform procedures I did not need as the procedures had been performed at the VA. I have not talk with the Medicare-chosen doctor in 10 years, but I must keep the doctor should I move to an area without a VA hospital. I receive current data from Medicare, so I am prepared for the future. If you choose a Medicare doctor who wants to perform tests, inquire with Medicare first about how much will Medicare pay for the tests, procedures. More doctors are refusing to accept Medicare because it takes so long before Medicare pays the doctors for your tests.

harrald

• D_21

If you like your doctor...keep it how it is. If you wanna try a new person then do that.

maybe you should change your doctor

OR...you accept the insurance and pay out-of-network prices when you see this doctor.  You've got to think through your likely usage/need for medical care from this particular physician compared to that of other providers covered by your insurance and the risk of not having insurance if your appendix bursts or you need to be hospitalized for some reason.