Stacy asked in PetsFish · 1 month ago

I know fish can carry disease and my dog ate a dirty tank filter. What should I do?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Fish diseases and infections for pet fish are all only contageous and harmful to fish. There's nothing they can spread to any other animals including a dog or a human. Dogs don't get fin rot or ich or fisheye. 

It's a fresh water fish tank in your home, the water is safe. There aren't or at least there shouldn't be any toxins like there could be in local waterways. Even if there have been death's in the tank where some of the fish have not survived and their remains were in the filter that's not going to hurt the dog or make the dog sick. 

What can effet the dog's health is if he/she actually swollowed the entire filter. If the filter is made of nylon or something the dog can't digest it's going to remain inside of him/her and that is almost guaranteed to cause issues. If the dog swollowed the whole thing take him to a vet and get it removed before it starts causing issues. Hopefully they can pull it out or the vet's opinion is that the dog has a chance of passing it so they don't have to perform surgery and cut the dog open to get it out. 

It is a bad idea not to take the dog to the vet for a checkup and to be sure the filter isn't still in there. It can cause a serious infection and end the dog's life if it's left go. 

• PR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Everything carries various forms of bacteria. Dogs eat things we would never imagine such as dead animals on the road; toilet water; dog poop; other poop. Because a dog's stomach is very acidic, it can digest things quickly and more efficiently than a human stomach. 

Unless your dog seems sick, I wouldn't worry about this:

https://bridgeranimalnutrition.com/article-147

If you are worried, just call your vet.

• Grace
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Feed him lots so he poops and put some salt on his food to kill the bacteria in his stomach.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.