Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 month ago

Capacitors discharge?

If I was to connect 2 capacitors negatives together would I be able to discharge them separately without losing some power from the other? I would think you could do it I would test it out but I am not near my house and the question is eating at my brain

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

If they are in different circuits (positives not wired together or otherwise linked in parallel/circuits), YES they could be discharged separately.

• 1 month ago

No.  You have to "connect them" is something.  A wire for example.  Theoretically, superconductors could connect them with zero loss but assuming you have a capacitor not  made of superconductors so the non-ideal part of the capacitor would be the same thing.

Anyway the wire would always have some finite resistance so you would lose some.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. 

Of course. 

• ...Show all comments
    • M.
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

D g:  I think you have missed the question.  It was about discharging SEPARATELY.  So the answer is yes. 

Why have YOU not answered the question? 

Anonymous here is correct.

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, as long as the positive sides are independent. But if they are part of an arbitrary circuit then shorting one cap may affect the voltages across the other.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes, If the negs are connected and the Pos are not connected they can each be charged and discharged independently.

• 1 month ago

The positives are not connected? They are both  charged?

(you didn't specify either of these, I'm guessing)

if you short out one, discharging it, the other cap will retain it's charge, as it has no connection between the terminals. 

If something like this "eats at your brain", you won't have any brain left in a few years.

• 1 month ago

This question lacks important information without which any answers are guesses. 

• Trisha
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

No. No, you wouldn't.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.