Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 year ago

Capacitors discharge?

If I was to connect 2 capacitors negatives together would I be able to discharge them separately without losing some power from the other? I would think you could do it I would test it out but I am not near my house and the question is eating at my brain

• Jim
    1 year ago

If they are in different circuits (positives not wired together or otherwise linked in parallel/circuits), YES they could be discharged separately.

• 1 year ago

No.  You have to "connect them" is something.  A wire for example.  Theoretically, superconductors could connect them with zero loss but assuming you have a capacitor not  made of superconductors so the non-ideal part of the capacitor would be the same thing.

Anyway the wire would always have some finite resistance so you would lose some.

1 year ago

Yes. 

Of course. 

• Dixon
    1 year ago

Yes, as long as the positive sides are independent. But if they are part of an arbitrary circuit then shorting one cap may affect the voltages across the other.

• 1 year ago

Yes, If the negs are connected and the Pos are not connected they can each be charged and discharged independently.

• 1 year ago

The positives are not connected? They are both  charged?

(you didn't specify either of these, I'm guessing)

if you short out one, discharging it, the other cap will retain it's charge, as it has no connection between the terminals. 

If something like this "eats at your brain", you won't have any brain left in a few years.

• 1 year ago

This question lacks important information without which any answers are guesses. 

1 year ago

No. No, you wouldn't.