Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 1 month ago

Do I have to be a certain age to buy a bird?

I understand the amount of commitment/cost it takes to care for one and I think it's the best option of a pet for me, I just don't know the specifics on the legal age limit in the U.S.

I'll keep it simple. I'm under 18.

• *****

In the USA, you must be 18 to purchase a pet, or accompanied by your parent or guardian. 

18

No pet store can legally sell to a minor and you can't own any pets as a minor

If you get a pet and you don't take care of it which is very likely it will be gotten rid of 

You have to be 18, a legal adult, to buy a pet here, ANY pet. I mean, no one will really bat an eye if you're buying a fish or something, but a bird? Yeah, you'll get carded. 

And depending on the bird you want, I would try and talk your parents into it NOW. Cockatoos, macaws, Amazons, Greys, can all live 60+ years with proper care and love. Even many conures can live 15-20 years. Birds are not short-lived creatures. So if you feel confident that this is the route you want to go, go for it, but at this point, you would need your parents to help you out, at least with being there for purchase. 

• patty

are you too old or too young?