Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Is this a helicopter mom moment? I’m mid 20s?

When she was visiting she got pissed at me for not clearing the snow off my car as much as she’s like and insisted I would get a ticket.  Then she proceeded to clear off my car because she just couldn’t handle me not removing all the snow. I had already cleared the windows windshield etc. so I could see fine.  I felt that she was overstepping her boundaries by clearing my car for me and treating me like I need to follow her orders.  If she is worried I will get a ticket she should just let me get the ticket- she shouldn’t swoop in and try and save me from my own decisions.  

It was literally less than an inch of snow.  No one would be killed by that. 

• She sounds like a mother. Everytime I visit mine she asks if I blew out my candles and lectures me on cooking and turning off the stove and locking my doors. Like I've lived four years on my own mon and nothing has ever happened. Calm down. I just smile and nod

She rearranges my plates and cups to the way she wants them when she comes to my house. My dad told her to sit down and leave me alone it was my house. That's how mothers are.

good gawd, clearing the snow so momma wont have to worry is a BLESSING..one day ur momma is gonna be dead, do u really wanna look back and see how petty u was acting over her being worried about u..Straighten up missy for the good things in ur life is gone.

• Edna

Heck; if my mom wanted to get out and clean ALL the snow off my car; I would say 'thank you', and let her have at it!!

If no one was being harmed but you then yes, she should back off. But what you don't seem to realize is that snow and ice flying off your car as you drive could easily land on the windshield of drivers behind you and temporarily blind them, causing accidents. This wasn't all about you, and as a driver you should be aware of how such things affect other drivers.

I'm guessing it's less about this particular incident and more about an ongoing pattern of you believing she doesn't trust you to make good decisions.

It's a car.   Who cares?  If she wants to brush snow off a car, let her have it.  Then don't invite her over again if you aren't comfortable with her control level.  If she shows up unannounced, don't let her in.

• sarah

Yup, sounds like a helicopter mom moment to me.

And unfortunately, it doesn't get any better. I'm in my *late* 20s and married and have a baby, and my mom (and mother-in-law, too) STILL have those moments.

• y

Ma has a law about that now which they are starting to enforce, and does cost a pretty penny. Being lazy about snow removal makes you a danger to other motorist and pedestrians. There have been a number of recorded incidents, accidents,some of which injury has occurred. From the snow that wasn't cleared off, blowing off while on the road, causing those issues. You mom wasn't pissed becouse you didn't do it her way. She was pissed becouse your irresponsible attitude about your potential, to injury another, due to laziness. It's a disgusting and selfish trait.