Should YA get rid of the anonymous function? It only serves to protect the identity of trolls and cowards.?

34 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It's so easy to make new accounts or simply change your username that I don't think the anonymous feature contributes appreciably to the troll problem.

The last time I posted here anonymous posts could not be reported, which is why it was so fashionable (at least as of ~3 years ago). I would not be at all surprised if this was still the case because YA has always been a crappy social media platform.

• $$$
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If yahoo got rid of the anonymous function that does not mean users can't change their nicknames. No, you still won't know people's identity.

I won't make my answer anonymous, so I can try to prove my point. Do you think $$$ is my real name?

FYI.....I can change $$$ to another alias, or my real name.

Hypothetically speaking lets say Yahoo removes the anonymous function then you won't know what my real name is unless if I were to tell you, or change my nickname to my real name.

The anonymous function just makes it impossible, for users to be able to see each other's nicknames even though users can still hide their identity by using an alias.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, they should get rid of it ASAP

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not necessarily.  But it cracks me up when someone dons the cat glasses, but then COMMENTS, and comments are always by user name, so the whole purpose of the cat glasses in defeated.  (People who post anonymously, then do this aren't very intelligent, sort of like people who light a match to see if a car gas tank is empty.)

• ...Show all comments
    • Andrew Smith
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

As "anonymous" only applies to what WE see, anonymous can always be reported and even the underlying account can be suspended if it is warranted.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I use it for personal things, or when I just don't feel like interacting with people I "know".

If there was no anon feature, I'd just use throw away accounts.

• Andrew Smith
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Yes, you COULD just do that.  But perhaps like some other things there are solutions to that too.  A cat and mouse game between honest people and those who have something to hide.  ( You notice that I don't hide.  I am proud of myself and everything I do.  Otherwise I wouldn't do it.)

• Jeremy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Sure.  But, I'm not convinced that would ultimately help in curbing the troll problems.  It isn't like you're required to post any real identifying information.  You could just create an account and literally make your display name "anonymous."

To really fix things, they need much better moderation and reporting features.

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You are not forced to answer questions posted by "Anonymous". 

• 1 month ago

Yes. It should be done away with.  Most people don't use their actual name anyway. It is just cowardice about being held accountable for opinions even under an assumed persona.

• ...Show all comments
    • marsel_duchamp
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

"It’s been 15 years since BMJ published the most rigorous type of study there is — a systematic review of randomized controlled trials — to assess the evidence for using a parachute to prevent death and major injury when jumping from a plane. "

• david
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

YES.  That is not used to protect the innocent, just to hide the cowards.

• Wrong category, but yes

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.