Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 9 months ago

How true is the quote?

How true is the quote, "If you love someone, set them free. If they come back, they’re yours; if they don’t, they never were."?

• Jesere

It's true in my case, 1975 I fell in love at first sight the end of my senior year, we dated all summer, but let each other go in the fall, he was off to college and I had to report for duty in the Navy. We lost touch for 35 years and in 2010 we found each other he was widowed and I was divorced. When we met face to face time melted and we picked up where we left off, now we are together for our twilight years.

It means  letting that person or animal decide for themselves if they wish to be in your life. Holding on to someone who doesn't wish to be with you causes pain for both parties. Clinging to someone who doesn't want you can only carry you so far before something has to break. Letting someone go means they can choose to come back or not. Which frees you as well. 

In some cases they are yours. Sometimes a person makes the dumb mistake of going back to a relationship that was never meant to be. The one who did the releasing could have let go because they had no other recourse but they talked the person into coming back.

If a girl decides she wants to leave me, then comes back, she gets the boot straight out the front door again, without a single word. I'm nobody's second, and haven't got time for people who haven't figured their lives out yet. If a girl feels like she can freely jump back and forth between two guys, she deserves neither, and nobody, until she grows up. Men need to stop acting like such tools for women, its part of what's allowed many of them to become such entitled brats. A guy needs to maintain his self respect. If he doesn't, how can he expect those same women to respect him? <--- This is what men need to teach women.

It's total bull$hit.

It pertains to animals. That you intend to make your pet.

• Duck

It's very true. Basically, it's saying that you shouldn't smother someone you love.