Kids won't listen during baby-sitting ?

Hi, I'm currently au pairing in France in a family of three kids aged 6, 7 and 9 years old. I often stay alone with the kids and they ALWAYS end up fighting for every single stupid little thing. Then sometimes they will hit each other and I don't know how to make them stop.... the 6 year old girl often ends up crying, the 7 year old boy gets all mad and starts hitting and smashing all his toys. and I don't know how I should react at all...

I usually ask why they are fighting and try calming them down but it doesn't work

Any tips ??

Here's why-

It's because you have no control over the situation, you act weak-minded and fearful! Contrary to popular belief kids actually do look for that person, they don't listen to people who have no backbone/control over a situation.

Here is what you do:

When they start hitting each other (lets assume its all 3), you physically escort each of them to a room in the house individually and they stay there for 10 minutes tops! When you escort them you dont utter a word to them, no debates, nothing, its a firm by the hand walk them to the room and close the door. If they cry, scream etc, let them, do NOT engage during the timeout. When the timeout is over, you firmly and calmly explain there will be zero violence, no cursing at each other, no smashing of the toys etc, and if they do act up their parents will be called and the parents will deal with them. 

I have 4 nieces and nephews and I can assure you they don't play those games with me! I treat them well, but I will correct them if I am watching them, and they know when I speak up that I'm not screwing around. Thankfully they know where the line in the sand is, and they very rarely cross it, for the most part all 4 of them are generally well behaved.

Step up and take control here, don't let them rule you.

• just lock all of them in a room and have them battle to the death luv. xx

You have to start setting rules for them, and consequences for breaking the rules. Make sure you talk to the parents and tell them what is going on and what rules you want to start regarding behaviour so they know what will be going on. Make sure the kids always know what your rules are going to be. If you tell them they are not to hit, and they do, take them aside, make them repeat the rule they broke and then give them the consequence. Once they catch on that they are not going to get away with bad behaviour, they will start to behave better.

• LizB

Ask the parents how they would like you to handle matters of discipline, and do that.

Reward these toddlers if they behave better .... maybe with cookies ... I'm sure toddlers like them enough .

• art

an old fashioned slap on the bum works wonders

• Eva

Time Outs! Separate corners. Ask the parents how they discipline and how far you can go in disciplining them. You need to get a grip on this quickly because it will only get worse if they think you're a pushover.

Simple rules make the day complete.

One keep your hands to yourself...any touching, hitting, pinching etc...they get a time out....and they dont get the dessert that night...or no video games or tv all day

You should have a routine.

You sould have activities and reading and do homework help.

Often your language determines the outcome...like saying OK...it implys a question...make statements when you speak.

SHOW ME HOW YOU...GET DRESS...MAKE YOUR BED..SHOW ME.

Praise good behavior in specific terms...OH TILLY THANKS FOR SITTING ON BOTTOM THATS A GOOD CHOICE & KEEPS YOU SAFE.

Dont talk all day...they get tired of hearing you...talk when you need to tell them something important 

Overall thats a lot of children close together in age you have to have a plan and be on task.