Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 month ago

How do i get my one year old to stop being so needy?

My daughter is 16 months old. She has to have my attention from the second she wakes up till she goes to sleep. I cant eat shower use the bathroom clean, nothing. She wont sleep unless im with her. I tried letting her cry it out. But its getting me kicked out of my apt due to complaints that i have a screaming baby 24 7. I cant even watch tv and sit with her. I have to be looking at her talking to her at all times. Shes very smart and can talk and i know she understands me. Idk what to do. Im losing my home and my mind with this kid. 

When your doing your chores...........have her help you and then give her a few easy chores, of her own to do; pulling the covers up on her bed, putting her toys away and putting her dirty clothes in the proper place.  The more chores she helps you with and she does...........the less needy she will be.

• Pat

Ask the kid what the problem is.

Then fix it.

AND TELL HER TO KNOCK IT OFF.

Encourage her to use self-soothing methods, such as getting her a wind-up swing and a rocking crib.

Try giving your daughter more attention when she's being good. For example if she says a new word that she's never said before such as saying mama or dada or she gives something to someone, praise her for it. You can also try playing games with her such as pica boo which is something that a lot of babies enjoy or try to make some funny faces to make her laugh. You can also try distracting her with a toy that babies enjoy playing with such as those fisher price toys when you're in the bathroom or when you put her to bed. As for her wanting you to look at her while you're watching tv, well you should probably wait until you put her to bed before watching television or watch TV in the morning before she wakes up.

• LizB

Welcome to having a toddler.

Much of the time when toddlers this age scream for attention, it's because they're trying to communicate something but don't yet have the words to do so. I'd suggest starting to work with her on useful words like "help," and also utilize baby sign language (particularly if she isn't using many words yet). Signs like "more," "eat," "milk," and "all done" are good ones to start with.

• Trisha

A 16-month-old isn’t a toddler, she’s a freaking infant.

Introduce him to television ....has he ever watched his favorite program yet ? .... TV is a great babysitter

Sound like you may be the one to blame she's doing what she knows. If she wasn't given the chance to learn to play/sit alone or self soothe as an infant then she will be very needy and codependent. Did you run to her every time she cried or pick her up/rock her each time she cried as an infant. Constantly holding her? It's common amongst first time parents to be a bit too clingy and sheltering instead of allowing their infant to explore without interference their surrounding and even their own emotions. 

By being a PARENT

You lock her out of the bathroom and let her scream about it. She needs to learn that she will not get her way by screaming 

She will sleep with out you. You put her down and ignore the screaming and fussing. You check on her every once in a while but don't coddle her, don't stay with her and don't let her have her way 

• Charlie4 weeks agoReport

Well it can if the asker is getting complaints from the neighbors. The problem can be easily solved if the asker distracts their child with a toy when they're in the bathroom or when they put the child to bed.