Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 8 months ago

I'm panicking about my future. Is this a good place to get advice? If so what should I do?

I'll apologies in advance for this long question but I don't know where else to go to ask. I was always born and raised in a country outside my country of citizenship (that country doesn't have birth right citizenship) and so I lived on a residency permit as a dependent to my parents (who had work residency permits). I have now been living in the US for 3 years on an F1 visa studying aeronautical and astronautical engineering at one of the best colleges (I don't want to name it just in case I get recognized) but have 1 more year before I graduate. By then I would be 21 and can no longer be a dependent on my parents so I can't go back to what I call home but at the same time I can't stay in the US because my visa will expire 30 days after graduation. I have gone back to my country of citizenship once for the first time in over 7 years last summer and I was pretty much recognized as a foreigner there and I can barely speak the language. Even then that country has no aerospace programs and I kind of feel like even though I have a good degree from a prestigious college I'm stuck and can't do much about it. I am not blaming anyone and don't want to, this is my fault and I accepted the consequences when I decided to study this particular field. (and just in case someone suggests working in the US (or any other country with an aerospace program) that's not really an option because of the restrictions on international people in each respective country's aerospace industry).

9 Answers

  • 8 months ago


  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    We’re I personally in your shoes I’d be booking a meeting with the uni’s career counseling office to talk about how my extant credits could be applied to another realm of engineering that doesn’t fall under the national security umbrella. I’d then switch majors and either pursue an advanced degree with the aim of using the US OPT program to remain here... Or I’d be cramming a language refresher course with an eye to using your undergrad qualification to work in your home country. Not all nations have sophisticated aerospace industries but almost all of them have use for a US educated transportation or urban planning engineer.

  • 8 months ago

    You have a year to learn the language of your home country or marry a US citizen. 

    Note that having an advanced degree is a lot more important today than it was a couple of decades ago.  Consider either staying in the USA for the degree or return to your home country to get it. Your native language skills will probably need to improve greatly for you to attend university in your home country. 

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    Normally in Countries where students apply for a student visa to study a particular degree, also take into account what they are hoping to study and if it is practical and gives them the ability to get a job in their own countries industry, otherwise they are more than likely to remain illegally instead of returning back to their home country..... it seems the USA doesn't take this into consideration and just go after the international money for education which is why they have such an issue with illegal student over stays.

    There are things you can do and things you can't what is in your ability to do is to learn your own language and look at what your degree opens up in the way of other industries within your own country so you can start to look for job opportunities in similar industries...your University should also have student services which you can go and get advice from

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

    It's your own fault that you have failed to learn your country's language. And it's your fault for choosing a field of study where foreigners are typically restricted from working, and your own country has no such industry. Bad planning on your part. You - and above all, your parents - have known you would be returning to your own country, and both you & your parents have totally fouled things up.

    It might not be too late to change your major from aeronautical engineering to some alternate area of engineering such as mechanical or electrical. This should put you in a better position to find employment in your own country. You certainly need to get to work on learning your own country's language.

    You ARE returning to your country of citizenship, so get over yourself, put your affairs in proper order & go home. You apparently have lived in more than one foreign country, and have adapted. So even if your country seems rather "foreign" to you, you should have no trouble returning to your own country and adapting.

  • 8 months ago

    It sounds like you need a good immigration lawyer. You should also start studying your country's language and looking for jobs in other countries with aerospace programs.

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    i would talk to immigration about it

  • 8 months ago

    You remind me of this guy who went to the doctor, told him that he is in pain, and asked for help. Yet . . . he refused to tell him where it hurt.

    Same here. Without knowing your country of citizenship there's no way to give you proper advice.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    This is not a good place to get advice, especially considering no one knows where you're trying to come from.

    I know a few people who've experienced similar circumstances. One was a Korean nurse, and he ended up moving back to Korea after finishing school. He was able to return to the USA eventually, but it was a four year wait/process.

    I knew another nurse from the Philippines who "aged out" as a dependent and was desperately trying to find a way to stay. I'm not sure what she ended up doing, but she is still living and working in Texas, so she must have come up with something.

    Good luck to you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.