What was so special about Bret 'Hitman' Hart in professional wrestling?

Let's see up until 1996 from what I've seen he could barely croak out a promo and the 'Best there is, best there was and best there ever will be' promo was such a farce as there were professional wrestlers standing side-by-side with Bret Hart back then that surpassed practically everything he did, mainly one Shawn Michaels.  Bret Hart's promos only 'improved' in 1996 forward because he basically did shoot promos.  His matches rivaled the territorial era with how formulaic and outdated they were, Jim Ross coined the phrase 'five moves of doom' for Bret Hart for a reason because he did nothing else which is a recognized fact unlike the memelords obsession with John Cena.

By the way Owen Hart vs. British Bulldog was better than Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog.  Owen Hart was always better than his brother.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

How was Bret Hart over rated?

If you want to hear about over rated I would think of Hulk Hogan now that guy was a joke lol Hart was great, not best on the mic but his in ring skills were untouchable back then

• Watch Hogan's matches in Japan.

• His Book: Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling was one of the best books about Professional Wrestling that I have ever read. I rank it right up there with Mick Foley's Books, Chris Jericho's Books. Bret The Hitman Hart was an outstanding Wrestlers and his matches in Professional Wrestling Promotions speak for themselves.

• 1 month ago

Bret Hart was a great wrestler. He was textbook in the ring. Bret Hart was a great technician, in a sense that he targeted the neck, back, and legs to set up the sharpshooter. He didn't do a million of submission moves, or even holds, but there was storytelling in his matches. Everything he did was for a reason, no matter if you think his matches were outdated or not, he wore down his opponents.

He could also throw pretty convincing punches to wear down his opponents. Could you imagine if Bret Hart had matches with opponents as good as him, and was the worker he was for that time? In his prime he didn't have that many great wrestlers to compete against besides his brother, Shawn Michaels, Curt Hennig, and not that many more. I guarantee if he had matches with Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, they would have been legendary, competitive matches.

Bret was ahead of his time workrate wise. He took bumps, he made his opponents look good, and he was a real good seller. As a face he knew how to get sympathy from the fans, make it look like he was beat up and exhausted.  As a heel, he knew how to be despicable, and garner heat from the fans.

His matches may have not been as fast-paced as his brothers, but he knew how to build up a crowd, and do the big moves at the end. You are right about his mic-skills though. Mic skills wasn't his forte, unless it was shoot promos.

He wasn't one of the best if you count mic skills, and personality. As wrestler? He was one of the best in terms of psychology, story-telling, and timing. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Blue Skies.
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Bret started with his family in Stampede
      wrestling in Calgary. That entire family
      helped put WWE and the WWF on the map.

• 1 month ago

hes probably a good wrestler

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.