Does this sound like the right thing to do?

My dad got fired from his job the other day and I've decided to write a letter to his boss asking him to give my dad a second chance. I'm basically vouching for my dad by writing nice things about him in a letter by saying how he was one of their best employees they ever had and he didn't deserve to be fired from his job. What he did to get himself fired was an honest mistake and it was the first time that he ever happened. Anyway, when my dad got fired, he was devastated. He really loved his job and worked really hard trying to support our family. They were way out of line for firing him. Do you think writing this letter to my dad's boss asking him to give my dad a second chance is the right thing to do?

If you are going to do it, write it a second time and add a few inferences about how you dad was one of the few employees who was loyal to him and he needs all the friends he can get based upon his reputation. Then mention your dad has never talked much about the way the boss treated the women employees, but they have been asking your dad for advice since he has left.  One of the women was crying about some things that the boss had done that you don't understand.  Then mention that you dad had not filled out a final expense account report, so he lost some money there.  And you hope he would fill out the final account for him, like your dad said that he did for lots of the employees.

• Bort

No it is not at all the right thing to do nor is it appropriate. The employer might have reasons for leaving him go that you don't have any idea about. It's none of your business, stay out of it. There are other jobs out there he can get that may be in the same line of work that will be a better situation for you all anyway.

Things happen for a reason.

No it is NOT the right thing to do why does daddy need you to fight his battles?  You may think you know everything that went on but I guarantee you that you haven't a clue and this comes from an employer.

Not going to help at all.

I can't recommend it. You're taking a position that they were "way out of line" for firing him, among other criticisms. In fact, you have no real idea why he was fired because you weren't there and have heard only dad's side of the story.

If I was a supervisor who received that letter, I'd feel pity, then crumple it up and throw it away.

• PAMELA

it is up to you, but it will not make any difference, the manager has made their decision.

It sounds like a very silly thing to do.

no. It is pathetic. let your dad handle it.

• mokrie

No it's not the right thing. You will make your dad look pathetic and weak and embarrass him. Keep out of it. You only know what your dad told you, you don't know the bosses side of the story. Don't butt in to your parents business.

Most bosses dont really care what family members think of an employee's work ethic, but your may letter might get noticed.

Not unless you are his lawyer.