Car accident - stopped but didn't report to police in 24 hours?

Hi guys, had a crash on Saturday night. It was very dark and raining. I had 3% battery on my phone- called my step dad with my last bit of battery. He came down to help me. We looked at the other car but couldn't see anything. We waited for an hour whilst the recovery truck came and nobody came to the car. I decided I would come back when it was light to see if I could find the vehicle owner. I knew I had 48 hours to report it to my insurance company so thought i'd be okay. I couldn't get down to the scene the next day so planned to go on Monday. Before I could do that, the guy reported me to the police and had them call me. So we went down straight away and gave all our details and reported it the insurance company. I've now been asked to go down to the police station for an interview and the car owner is saying hes going to take me to court and press charges! I'm really worried, does any body know what I could get charged for and the likely outcome? Please be nice i've just lost my mum and really struggling with anxiety. So im really worried!

When your stepdad came, you could have used his phone to call the police while you were waiting for the recovery truck. Not having any battery life left on your own phone really isn't a good excuse.

• Judy

You should be ok if he wasn't around on Saturday when this happened. sounds like he's just being a jerk.

• Girlie Electrics

US/state law does not apply in the UK. 

• Eva

Leaving the scene of a property damage accident. You could have left a note on the car with your information. Your step dad could have used his phone to call police. You could have reported it the next morning when your phone was charged. You really didn't make much of a good faith effort.

You didn't get the other guy's info when the accident happened? Bad move.

Discuss this with the police and your insurance company.

u should have left the paper on his windowshield with your or your insurance company contacts. now u will pay the fine for fleeing the scene

• Bort

As far as I know the possible charges might be "fleeing the scene of an accident" and any charge that is involved with exactly what happened. By law (I believe) the first thing you're supposed to do is call 911 to have police dispatched to the scene after checking that anyone else that was involved for injuries.

Not calling the police to report it might be something else they can charge you with something for not doing. That was your mistake: not calling for emergency service help.

You're most likely not going to jail if that's what you're worried about. If they were going to arrest you and the charges were of the severity that they're required to lock you up immediately they wouldn't be asking you to come in for an interview at your own will they'd come and get you and take you in cuffs. Not all charges involve being thrown in the clink. Some are just fines you'll have to pay and a mark on your criminal record.

The attempts you made at contacting the owner might count in your favor. What their concern is is that you didn't call police when it happened.

• Girlie Electrics

US/state law does not apply in the UK. 

You have 24 hours to report an incident to the police when you cant find the owner. 

Certainly at least a fine for not reporting as per the Road Traffic Act, custodial sentence can be applied, but its quite unusual for a typical incident. Other driver may sue you for uninsured losses. 

• Me x1 month agoReport

I didn't know that . How can he sue me if i've reported it to my insurance company and they are paying for all the damage ?