Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 month ago

Is my immune system really this damn good or am I just lucky?

Every year I always see my co workers and friends and family going through colds and flus and I never get either even if they sneeze on me. I think the last time I had a small cold was maybe 5 years ago and even when I had it it only lasted about a day. I dont particularly do anything special I eat fast food a lot moderately work out and take little to no vitamins also no flu shots ever. Dont take it the wrong way I'm not wishing to get sick I am just curious.

You have been upfront and diligent in the confessional box so God has smiled upon you. Just stop going to Cock Fights on Friday nights.  

• Lili

The older you get, the fewer colds you will have, because each time you are exposed to a rhinovirus and get a cold from it, you become immune to it. There are about 200 of them.  If you've been working in the same environment for a while, and frequenting the same people and places, there is a reduced chance you will encounter a virus you haven't encountered before.

• Todd

You're probably just lucky and/or your body is used to the environments you frequent. Usually people are caught by surprise when they do a decent amount of something all of the sudden they don't normally do. I remember I never got sick, but I would get a very minor cold when school started up after summer break. Going from being around few people to all of the sudden being around tons of people (mass transit, classes, change in sleep schedule/diet) always taxed me a little. Other than that tiny yearly hit, I never got sick. I also never had flu shots. I get them now, because they're free, and it doesn't hurt anything.

Catching the flu and cold is less about your immune system and more about your habits. If you get exposed, theres nothing much that's going to stop it. Taking vitamins doesn't make you not get colds or influenza, it just helps you get over it faster.

The amount of times you get the flu is a function of how often you're in confined spaces with other sick people where you're touching surfaces with virus on them (door knobs, keyboards, staircase railing etc) and how often you immediately take your hand and scratch your eyes, ears or your mouth or nose. But more importantly, how often you wash your hands. If you work in a more open area, you'll get sick less. If you use tools that only you have access to (IE you don't share a keyboard or a forklift or a scanner etc) you'll get sick less. If you don't work with a lot of people, you'll get sick less...

• Mark

You're just lucky.

Could be both. I recommend taking your shots in case diseases come your way. Better safe than sorry.