Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 months ago

Should I report them for animal cruelty?

So, the people are my friends parents. They have 2 "farm dogs" I think they both have lab in them. I know one certainly has a double coat. My friend said the other one doesn't, because it stays in its dog house on cold days. And the other one sits outside. The dogs both have a dog house in a large kennel, covered in a tarp. It does USUALLY doesnt get to freezing hear. If you look at the typical temperature for my area, it would read about 45 in the winter, and 76 in the summer. I think once about 10 years ago it reached about 28 in the winter, early in the morning. I'm not sure they bring the dog with the shorter fur in when it gets real cold, or if they are just ignorant. Maybe I'm freaking out about nothing, and it has a double coat. I have an insulated dog house I use to use for my dog. Should I offer it to them? I dont think their dog would fit though. If I did end up reporting them, then they would know it was me, because I expressed some concern to my friend. One is 7, and the other is 5, and they have always been fine, but it doesn't mean they arent uncomfortable. They seem to be treated pretty well otherwise. Should I just mind my own business if the dogs seem fine otherwise? I do have proof that they keep the dogs outside. His mom posted a pic on fb of the dogs, and someone asked a question, and she responded saying they are outside during the day, and put in their outdoor kennel at night. Would this be worth ruining my friendship over? 

Well it is 35 degrees today, but I just remembered my friend once said that one of the dogs was sitting at the door in the rain once, and they let him in. Maybe if they seem miserable they will let them in?

• Ocimom

As long as the dogs have good shelter, are fed and watered, they will be fine.  Perhaps if it gets real cold they let the dogs go in a garage or shed.

• ?

YOU have asked this question before. If the dogs are well fed, have shelter and appear quite happy, and as you say, "always been fine" then I suggest you stop acting like a snowflake and mind your own business. End of.

Your dog lives with his parents?

Unless there are laws against dogs being left outside in your area, there isnt anything to report.

In most areas, dogs are only requires to have "adequate" shelter (a house big enough for the dog to get into with a floor, roof and 4 sides).. And access to clean water, and provided with adequate food.

While those standards suck, you are wasting animal control's time and resources otherwise.

In a shelter, a dog can easily survive a few hours of 28 degrees and 45 degrees during the day.

It's not comfortable, it's not very nice and they're ******* for not bringing the dogs in on cold nights...

It's really up to you, bro. If it were me, I wouldn't ruin a good friendship over it but I wouldn't keep my mouth shut about it either.

I don't know why you are complaining about the neighbors leaving their dogs outside in a pen all the time, you use to keep a dog outside all the time.

Are the dog ever allowed out of the kennel? Are they obedient dogs or have they had no training. Do you ever see anyone playing with the dogs or are they just in the kennel & that is just were they stay all the time?

If you were to report them & Animal Control comes out to see if the dogs are okay & they are determined to be just fine, how would you feel?

According to the Animal Ordinances here they are just fine. They have a covered kennel, they have the dog houses & food & water. They are not being beat, hit, starved, neglected.

Hope you don't grow up to be a sue happy person. Don't snitch unless there is CLEAR abuse.

The temperature may or may not be - a concern (at 35 degrees overnight) in that YOU DO NOT *KNOW* whether the one dog has a double coat (or not) or how well INSULATED the dog houses are.  (QUALITY & THICKNESS or whether there is also STRAW to NESTLE IN, are ALL "unknowns") to US.  So (me) commenting on this, is sort of USELESS.

Check what the LAWS are in your county or town, per OUTDOOR dogs.  The dogs need to be wearing rabies tags and must have FRESH, & UNFROZEN WATER AVAILABLE at ALL times.  There may (or may not) be any other requirements as to shelter type, etc.  (They do have to have one and to be ABLE to get out of the elements (like rain, sleet or snow).  

If the dogs are lacking in anything (required BY LAW) or if Animal Control TELLS you they do not want to see dogs in an outdoor kennel or run, when the temperature is below X degrees, then you can ask for a WELLNESS CHECK, on said dogs.

I suspect you are over-reacting.

• Blonde

Dogs who are outside build up fat and a thick coat to keep them warm in winter. A dog house stuffed with straw is sufficient. However, an indoor dog cannot be let outside for longer than going potty because that dog would NOT have built up a thick coat/fat to handle winter. Same goes for cats.

If the dogs are healthy. And the kennel is well maintained, clean and there is fresh water.  The dogs are fine. 45 degrees is not cold for a dog.

• Maxi

Lots of people have outdoor dogs and in the past most dogs lived outdoors, they didn't live in the house at all, many never saw the inside of a house........... if they have shelter, water, food then it is not considered cruel and so nothing to report.........even though  it may not be how you look after your own dog  or how  most people do nowdays, now many dogs live and sleep as part of the family inside the house