Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 8 months ago

Did an auto service driver try to con me when I called to have my dead battery charged?

2002 Highlander wouldn’t start—no clicks, just dead.

Called the service. Driver came and jump-started the car successfully. (He was in the car and I was not.) Five seconds later, the engine shut down.

The guy got out of the car and said, you need a new battery and I have one in the truck.

Implication: without a new battery, you are going nowhere.

I was suspicious, so I said, try it again, but this time I sat in the passenger seat and watched. Car started and kept running, so I was able to drive to my neighborhood

garage.

Was I correct in being suspicious that the guy shut off the car on purpose the first time? (Remember, he didn’t offer to try a second time. I asked.)

Just to clarify: it's not about whether the battery was bad:  It was.  The question is, doesn’t it seem odd that the jump was fine for five seconds and then the car went dead and on the second attemp, which i requested and was in the car this time observing, it started and kept on running.  I’’m wondering if the guy shut the car off the first time toi induce me to buy a battery.

Yeah, he probably did turn it off. It's not unusual for a service truck to carry a battery. You probably told him what car you have when you called. You replaced the battery anyway & the guy was right there. You didn't need to drive to a gas station repair shop.

Yes, you were correct.

When an alternator fails and the battery is dead the minute you take the jumper cables off there is no power and the motor will die. Putting a battery in will get you home if you're 15 minutes from home but when the alternator is bad the red battery charge warning light should be on.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • ron h

Well, I guess you showed him. The battery he would have installed would have had a longer warranty. 

OLD batteries will not hold a charge very well. So you charge them up, the car will start but within a few minutes the battery is discharged enough that the car will not start. I change my battery every six or seven years unless I have a power problem and find it is not holding a charge.

• arther

Get this every mechanic is trying to con you out of your head mechanics don't need to con people there are that many old heaps of crap on the road that break down constantly ; as in you probably need a new alternator if the battery is going flat constantly wasting the mechanics time isn't free as you have no money maybe you shouldn't have a car as you can't afford to maintain one

The battery and alternator need to be tested before assessing their quality. Your suspicion was justified. Jumpstarting is not a diagnosis.

……….. Yes ……………….

You have an old car.

How old is your battery ?

Correct to get a second opinion, but your local garage might also say you need a new one

• Carson

Yes, he can not diagnose anything with a guess sitting on the driver's seat.It is really hard to tell, especially from where I am.

If your battery is 5 years old or older then it very well could have been a bad battery.

A real mechanic would look at the

connections on battery, alternator and starter before condemning the battery from the drivers seat. You should have all 3 checked at your mechanic.