Is it dangerous to take anti-anxiety medicine if you don't have anxiety?

My doctor put me on anti-anxiety medicine and I'm not sure I really have anxiety. If I really dont is it harmful to take the medicine?

is your doctor a psychiatrist?

using a little anti-anxiety medication for a short periods is "to take the edge off" of your daily worrying about things in your life. the therapy is to help understand and deal with those things, which cause you stress.

b.f. skinner is a good one for behavioral psychology, used with anti-psychotic drugs. when you have dealt with your over-stress problem (actions and reactions) then you can stop using the drugs. 

too many people "self-medicate" for anxiety and psychological problems, using alcohol or grass or even opiates, however they may not even be conscious of doing it. this is what leads to personality disorders, and drug abuse.

still, with the phd., even their educated guess is so much better then you and your friends opinions.

• ron h

Sometimes drugs are prescribed for "off label" uses.  There's a lot of debate whether that's a good idea.  Why did you see the doctor?  It's possible the med is believed to treat your condition, but the FDA has not approved it for that.   This is not an easy question for us to answer--look this drug up: uses and side effects and interactions then call your doc and tell him that you're confused about this drug.  NO ONE hear can start to advise you with the very little info you've provided.

• Mike

If you don't have anxiety, why would your doctor prescribe anti-anxiety medication.

Benzos? Some of the most dangerous out there. What really is the most dangerous about it is that there is no help in getting off it, unlike the mass market for opiod addiction.You can end up getting stuck with a psychiatrist who refuses to acknowledge addiction or withdraw when you get off of it. You could get falsely labelled mentally ill ( from the drug effects ) and end up a trapped mental patient for life, dependant on even more drugs.

A site called benzo buddies will give you some idea.

It isn't dangerous, but I will say, as someone that has taken a variety of anti-anxiety medication, is that they change your psychology. My partner has noticed this as well, the way I may interact with people or deal with situations is different to when I haven't taken any medication.

So, whilst there isn't any direct harm. You may be changing your behaviour, and while I have noticed at times, other people have commented on changes in my behviour that I havent noticed. And I wouldn't, because the way my thoughts are being processed has changed. It's so intrinsic that it's hard to observe in yourself. 

But these changes can often take weeks or months to settle in. Most anti-anxiety meds don't work overnight. 

There are side effects, but I don't recall any being particularly dangerous.

Google the side effects for the one who were prescribed